Bivvi Bag or Tent for Iceland?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martin-123

Jul 1, 2011
Essex
Hi Everyone,

I'm planning a 10 day trip to Iceland in September. It's mainly a photographic trip on a very low budget. I plan to hitch hike and camp.

I'll be taking my excellent RAB 3/4 season goose down sleeping bag and I need to decide on taking either a bivvi bag, or a one man tent.

I'm an experienced winter camper in the UK but this is different. I have to plan for very cold, wet, snow and windy conditions (whilst hoping for better!). They do have good campsites there with all mod cons and hot pools etc., but I might get caught out occasionally and have to camp in the wilds.

Can anyone offer any advice on this decision? Suggestions or recommendations on which tent or bivvi bag would also be appreciated.

Many thanks indeed.

Martin

There's no substitute for experience.

Hi, good luck with your trip.
If I was going I would go for a small tent. Imo you would need a tarp too to keep the wind off you as well as a bivvy bag. You also mention campsites so I would opt for a small tent as I think your gear would be safer in a tent than just lying around if you leave your camp area.

Martin-123

Jul 1, 2011
Essex
Thanks for the input Guys,

I doubt I'll be in any place for more than one night so don't have to worry about leaving stuff in a safe place.

Are you saying, Bodge, that I should use

a tent

or

a bivvy bag and a tarp

(sorry if I'm being thick)

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I went to Iceland a few years ago with work its a lovely place and I am sure you will be rewarded with some fantastic photo opportunities. I would agree with the other guys
that a tent is the best option, you really can't do any admin in a Bivi in foul weather and a tarp is going to be hard to pitch in the treeless, exposed landscape Iceland is.

I went at the end of July and although cooler then the UK the climate is still quite mild. I couldn't say for certain but I would guess in September that winter might still not have
set in although if you are high in the mountains it obviously going to be worse weather wise.

A recommended tent would be a Wild Country Sololite, its not the lightest but is good value (£160) for a 3-4 season one man tent. I think it maybe possible to fix the Terra
Nova Tarp onto it which would give you more protection/living space.

I was working alongside the Icelandic Mountain Rescue who are very professional and well equipped, I'm sure if you contacted the local team for where you wish to travel they would give you the likely conditions and recommend places to photograph / wild camp etc.

The natural landscape is very impressive particularly the waterfalls, geysers and glaciers. The hot pools are great and quite cheap however the rotten shark meat is not
recommenced!

Martin-123

Jul 1, 2011
Essex
Thanks to all for your input, particularly Limaed. Excellent advice re Mountain Rescue people (might as well make friends with 'em early!).

You have all convinced me. A tent it will be.

I'll check out the sololite.

... and I'll inevitably check out the rotting shark meat, after all, they must eat it for a reason!

Many thanks to you all.

I'll post some photos when I get back.

Martin

There's no substitute for experience.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Tent all the way. You never know when the next volcano is going to drop molten ash on you and with a bivi bag there is little warning :) (OK I jest but I think a tent would be adviseable).

Thanks for the input Guys,

I doubt I'll be in any place for more than one night so don't have to worry about leaving stuff in a safe place.

Are you saying, Bodge, that I should use

a tent

or

a bivvy bag and a tarp

(sorry if I'm being thick)

No it was how I wrote it (in a rush). I meant you would need a tarp if you opted for a bivvy bag. I would take just a tent on your Iceland trip.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Tent AND bivvy bag, please, please take both. Plus a small reliable stove (don't try and rely on a wood burner), and a good set of waterproofs, Gortex etc. Looking on Google temps are between +10c and -10c so look at your clothing. Lots of wind and lots of rain, take care.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
There was a forum member (Michel Blomgren) whose (now vanished?) website featured a fifty minute documentary of his walk across Iceland, the trailer for that documentary is on Youtube, in those weather conditions you will definitely need a tent. :)

[video=youtube;eZh0cPR9XzI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZh0cPR9XzI[/video]

Edited to add:

Here is the full movie (In Swedish)...

[video=vimeo;21532113]http://vimeo.com/21532113[/video]

:)

Last edited:

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Hi, don't know if it has been mentioned but I would suggest ditching the down sleeping bag considering how damp it will be overall (even you mentioned it in the OP). A quality synthetic sleeping Bag, plus tent (with extra ground sheet).

Have fun, and make sure to post the pictures! :)

For inspiration on pictures of Iceland go to Trey Radcliffs site http://www.stuckincustoms.com and search for Iceland. You will be amazed!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Martin-123

Jul 1, 2011
Essex
I would suggest ditching the down sleeping bag considering how damp it will be overall (even you mentioned it in the OP). A quality synthetic sleeping Bag, plus tent (with extra ground sheet).

For inspiration on pictures of Iceland go to Trey Radcliffs site http://www.stuckincustoms.com and search for Iceland. You will be amazed!!!

Thanks for this malente, I recognise the wisdom of your comment but I'm stuck with the down sleeping bag. .... Did I mention this is a very low budget trip? I'm going to rely on my tent (as well as any local hospitality I might receive) to keep me dry. I'll air the sleeping bag at every opportunity I get.

Checked out the photos. As you said: Amazing! I hope I can capture some of those dramatic images with my Olympus Pen.

Thanks again.

M.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE