Bivi up forcast -4

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Me and Andywinkk are going out on a Bivi up tomorrow night, the forcast is -4 and dry.

I have never done this cold before "open air" any tips for the uninitiated? We are not planning on taking tons of gear as its a 2 mile walk in. what should be our priorities?

I have four so far
1. Axe
2. Firesteel
3. 9" cooking pot.
4. Bivi bag

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Warm sleeping bag, hat and dry socks for sleeping in.

A folding/bow-saw might be more useful than an axe.

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
Is the forecast for wind? If it is and you can't find a sheltered location a tarp windbreak could help. Windchill is a bugger!

Also consider an extra lighweight layer to wear in your gonk bag. Every little helps, even if it is only an extra t-shirt and a pair of lightweight tracksuit bottoms.

Just realised you haven't mentioned a kip mat?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Just keep warm and dry Wayne and everything else should take care of itself. Take plenty of layers and a good doss bag and insulation.

And don`t forget the brandy

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Jog on the spot for 5 minutes before getting in your sleeping bag.The bag doesn't warm you up it just keeps you warm,jogging gets you warm before you get in.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Alcohol thins the blood and dehydrates the body so a little nip will do the world of good but a lot can cause real problems cos you cannot notice the effects of cold when half cut, so go easy, best to take a little in a cup of tea or coffee. If you have an old emergency blanket drape this over the reflector it works really brilliant for focusing the heat from the fire towards you. Agree totally with h2o cut plenty of firewood, enough to keep you going through the night, and remember the coldest part of the night will be around the 04.00 - 04.30 so be prepared to build the fire up for this time. Wear a hat as most body heat is lost through the head, and don't sleep too near the fire.
Have a good one!

Having spent a few nights in the car myself, I'd rather stay by a good fire as long as it stays dry.

A long log fire, built parallel to your sleeping position, with a reflector built on the opposite side (to ensure you get most of the benefit) would be best.

If you can find lots of leaves (without hidden branches) or spruce boughs to create a bed and improve insulation (in addition to your karrimat / thermarest) that would also help.

Just the way I'd do it, have fun & enjoy the experience - and remember to learn from the bits you don't like.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
''what about lots of whisky''

to much alcohol in low temperatures aint a good idea.
so long as youve got a good bag,matt,and bivy,plus some good thremals i think you'll be fine, if its really cold get a brew on and drink it whilst in your bag,and keep your head,hands,and feet warm and dry. Its true about putting loads of extra layer on in a bag doesnt really help much,the coldest ive been out is -19 we just been sitting around under a pine tree no fire so i was cold before i got in to my bag,started to feel really cold in my bag and went firstly for the loads more clothes on and it didnt help, then i got out of my bag had a walk round got warmed up got a brew on, had it in my bag wearing just thermals was fine after that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE