Bivi trip to Severn and Wye sources (v.pic heavy!)

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Just got back from a walk and an overnight bivi to the sources of the Severn and the Wye with a couple of mates (with a slight diversion to the top of Pumlumon thrown in). Got a chance to use the new Bison Bushcraft Guide shirt in earnest for the first time and to give the Bushbuddy stove a decent workout. (Both came through with flying colours).

Set out from Llangurig and up through the Hafren forest. Nice morning light through the trees.

treesv.jpg

The Severn - not at all like it is in Gloucester, where I live!

severnwaterfall.jpg

The bivi site at 540m in the Hafren Forest:

bivisite.jpg

Frost on the tarp in the morning (but cosy warm in the sleeping bag!)

frostytarp.jpg

The Bushbuddy doing its thing for a morning brew:

bushbuddy.jpg

Another view of the Severn, near its source:

severnfall2.jpg

The team:

trio.jpg

Yours truly at the source of the Severn, modelling the Guide shirt (I won't be threatening Wayland's position on the catwalk!):

source1.jpg

The source of the Wye is not so prominent and took a bit of finding from the foggy top of Pumlumon:

sourcewye.jpg

The route back down the Wye to Llangurig:

keithl.jpg

All in all, a great weekend. I was particularly impressed with how windproof the guide shirt proved to be (nice one, Roger!) - I wore it over a HH merino/polysomething hoodie and was warm throughout the day, only having to slip another layer on when it got dark and the temperature plummeted. Just got to replace those bright red gaiters now...

Thanks for a great read. It's great to see different parts of the country esp down south where I'll rarely go! ;) I love the first waterfall pic and the bivi pics are great. Thats a very nice midle bivi set up, it's not often you see folk with it set up like that.
There really is some nice country there and nice looking walking. Glad the weather was good. Looks like you all had a lot of fun too.

I'm curious as to what you slept on? Karimats or something like that?Were you all comy enough on them? When I bivi on the ground its a full sized airbed or nothing...but a heck of weight to carry!

Great blog.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I'm curious as to what you slept on? Karimats or something like that?Were you all comy enough on them? When I bivi on the ground its a full sized airbed or nothing...but a heck of weight to carry!

All of us used various versions of thermarests and were perfectly warm and comfy. The ground was grassy/mossy so that helped as well.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Great post would love to see the source too, as I used to live a stones throw from the river.
The shirts are very nice on my wish list!
dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE