Bivi Bag with Zip Recomendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi ya'll,

As per title really. I'm in the market for a new bivi bag, ideally I'd like it to have some sort of waterproof zipper (or have large enough entry to make access easy whilst sat underneath a tarp), be light, packs down small and spacious.

I don't want anything heavy or with hoops.

For example the British Army jobby if made with a zip i think would be perfect.

Any recommendations gratefully received.

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com
//probably typed on mobile so please excuse typos!

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
American issue bivi bag. Huge, with a zip. If you dont mind the camo....

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The zipper and correctly made zipper flaps of the similar robust made German army bivvy bag add round about another 100g to 200 g to the weight of the British MOD bivvy bag, depending on the model.

British Army bivvy bag 800g
Used around 40 €

German Army bivvy bag 900 g
In identic Goretex jacket fabric.
Used around 100 €

German Army bivvy bag 1000g
In current Gas Permeable technology fabric
Carinthia declares that you can close it and breath through the fabric.
New 400€

All German army versions have the same cut. If it's raining on the bivvy bag you turn to the right side.

Snugpak Special Forces bivvy bag 340g
New 100 €

This bivvy bag is very similar but obviously lighter and thinner and packing much more compact. If it's raining on the bivvy bag you turn to the left side.

I always put it on the German Army folding mat to protect it. In combination with the Snugpak Special Forces sleeping bags 1 and 2 or both together (with the adapter) the sleep system works very well.

SF1 sleeping bag in SF bivvy bag I store in an Ortlieb 7 litres PS10 lightweight drybag.

That is a very compact solution. My 3 seasons rucksack has only a volume of 35 litres.

The German Army bivvy bag I don't own, but the British Army MOD bivvy bag.

Functional both are relatively equal working but of course it's more comfortable to enter the Snugpak Special Forces bivvy bag, which fits over the SF1 sleeping bag as a second skin.

The German Army bivvy bag is larger than the Snugpak SF.

But the Snugpak SF bivvy bag exists like the SF sleeping bag system in an XL version for giants too.
The usual size is made just for very tall men...

Old German Army bivvy bags usually had been made by Feuchter in Germany like the Flecktarn Goretex suit.

Different to other army equipment here the Flecktarn bivvy bags had been the first produced ones, the plain olive green versions are younger!

I think now Carinthia delivers exclusively to the German Army, I think they produce somewhere in eastern Europe, if there is still an Austrian factory I don't know. I am no expert in this question. Earlier Goldeck manufactured the old army sleeping bags in Austria and Goldeck Textil and Carinthia are identic. They just choosed an international better sounding brand name, owner of it is Goldeck Textil.

The Snugpak SF sleeping bags are made in the UK with a Swiss made filling, but the bivvy bag is imported from Asia.

I used my Snugpak SF1 with its bivvy a few hundred times in all conditions.
And I highly recommend it.

I guess the Carinthia bivvy bag will last longer if bought new, because it's a new 3 layer Goretex fabric. But of course you get 4 Snugpak SF bivvy bags for the same price...
Or a used Feuchter bivvy bag (or even often an older Goretex jacket fabric Carinthia bivvy bag too) for the same price like a new Snugpak SF.

Most good German military surplus sellers offer used German Army bivvy bags currently for round about 100 €, usually they seem to be in good conditions, and if one calls them, or writes an e-mail, perhaps they can deliver for the same price the newest model with GORETEX GAS PERMEABLE TECHNOLOGIE / GAS DURCHLÄSSIGE TECHNOLIGIE what must be written on the white badge inside if it is the newest model.

Attention Beginners!
Don't get confused!

Currently NO OTHER bivvy bag offers the option to close it completely and breath through the fabric! Always let the entrance open and breath through an opening for your nose!
In every bivvy bag you will get heavy condensation problems, if you breath into your bivvy bag!

But if you don't own a current Goretex Gas Permeable fabric bivvy bag you will die if you close it completely.

This Goretex Gas Permeable new fabric is different to usual Goretex Moisture Permeable jacket fabric, which was usually used in all military bivvy bags.

Attention!

DANGER OF SUFFOCATION!

I recommend to inform yourself about the differences in the Snugpak Special Forces sleep System of SF1, SF2 , Adapter and bivvy, which works perfectly but isn't really idiot proof, because the very good adapter is a bit complicated to insert in rainy weather without shelter.
But both , SF1 and SF2 on it's own are perfectly constructed.

Carinthia offers several well fitting options to combine with the bivvy bag, the German Army uses Tropen and Defence 4. But you also could combine Defence 1 and 4 for example. The summer stuff is a bit less compact and heavier but comes in far better compression bags. There is no adapter and because of this its handier and easier to combine. But even warmer Carinthia military bags usually have no warmth collar, different to the SF 2, only the Defence 6 if I remember right, and that's a solo working heavy and very bulky winter sleeping bag.

It isn't possible to get all advantages without the disadvantages of the constructive solutions.

I choosed the Snugpak SF system because for my central european civil use that fits the best.

The SF1 sleeping bag with SF bivvy bag is the lightest and most compact option with NATO Stock Number I know, and so I took that system. This 3 seasons version is what I use most of the time.

Other users may decide different because they have other needs.

I recommend to understand the both very similar offered sleeping bag systems before you decide to go with the Carinthia or Snugpak system.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crowe

arthem

Jun 14, 2021
United Kingdom
The zipper and correctly made zipper flaps of the similar robust made German army bivvy bag add round about another 100g to 200 g to the weight of the British MOD bivvy bag, depending on the model.

British Army bivvy bag 800g
Used around 40 €

German Army bivvy bag 900 g
In identic Goretex jacket fabric.
Used around 100 €

German Army bivvy bag 1000g
In current Gas Permeable technology fabric
Carinthia declares that you can close it and breath through the fabric.
New 400€

All German army versions have the same cut. If it's raining on the bivvy bag you turn to the right side.

Snugpak Special Forces bivvy bag 340g
New 100 €

This bivvy bag is very similar but obviously lighter and thinner and packing much more compact. If it's raining on the bivvy bag you turn to the left side.

I always put it on the German Army folding mat to protect it. In combination with the Snugpak Special Forces sleeping bags 1 and 2 or both together (with the adapter) the sleep system works very well.

SF1 sleeping bag in SF bivvy bag I store in an Ortlieb 7 litres PS10 lightweight drybag.

That is a very compact solution. My 3 seasons rucksack has only a volume of 35 litres.

The German Army bivvy bag I don't own, but the British Army MOD bivvy bag.

Functional both are relatively equal working but of course it's more comfortable to enter the Snugpak Special Forces bivvy bag, which fits over the SF1 sleeping bag as a second skin.

The German Army bivvy bag is larger than the Snugpak SF.

But the Snugpak SF bivvy bag exists like the SF sleeping bag system in an XL version for giants too.
The usual size is made just for very tall men...

Old German Army bivvy bags usually had been made by Feuchter in Germany like the Flecktarn Goretex suit.

Different to other army equipment here the Flecktarn bivvy bags had been the first produced ones, the plain olive green versions are younger!

I think now Carinthia delivers exclusively to the German Army, I think they produce somewhere in eastern Europe, if there is still an Austrian factory I don't know. I am no expert in this question. Earlier Goldeck manufactured the old army sleeping bags in Austria and Goldeck Textil and Carinthia are identic. They just choosed an international better sounding brand name, owner of it is Goldeck Textil.

The Snugpak SF sleeping bags are made in the UK with a Swiss made filling, but the bivvy bag is imported from Asia.

I used my Snugpak SF1 with its bivvy a few hundred times in all conditions.
And I highly recommend it.

I guess the Carinthia bivvy bag will last longer if bought new, because it's a new 3 layer Goretex fabric. But of course you get 4 Snugpak SF bivvy bags for the same price...
Or a used Feuchter bivvy bag (or even often an older Goretex jacket fabric Carinthia bivvy bag too) for the same price like a new Snugpak SF.

Most good German military surplus sellers offer used German Army bivvy bags currently for round about 100 €, usually they seem to be in good conditions, and if one calls them, or writes an e-mail, perhaps they can deliver for the same price the newest model with GORETEX GAS PERMEABLE TECHNOLOGIE / GAS DURCHLÄSSIGE TECHNOLIGIE what must be written on the white badge inside if it is the newest model.

Attention Beginners!
Don't get confused!

Currently NO OTHER bivvy bag offers the option to close it completely and breath through the fabric! Always let the entrance open and breath through an opening for your nose!
In every bivvy bag you will get heavy condensation problems, if you breath into your bivvy bag!

But if you don't own a current Goretex Gas Permeable fabric bivvy bag you will die if you close it completely.

This Goretex Gas Permeable new fabric is different to usual Goretex Moisture Permeable jacket fabric, which was usually used in all military bivvy bags.

Attention!

DANGER OF SUFFOCATION!

I recommend to inform yourself about the differences in the Snugpak Special Forces sleep System of SF1, SF2 , Adapter and bivvy, which works perfectly but isn't really idiot proof, because the very good adapter is a bit complicated to insert in rainy weather without shelter.
But both , SF1 and SF2 on it's own are perfectly constructed.

Carinthia offers several well fitting options to combine with the bivvy bag, the German Army uses Tropen and Defence 4. But you also could combine Defence 1 and 4 for example. The summer stuff is a bit less compact and heavier but comes in far better compression bags. There is no adapter and because of this its handier and easier to combine. But even warmer Carinthia military bags usually have no warmth collar, different to the SF 2, only the Defence 6 if I remember right, and that's a solo working heavy and very bulky winter sleeping bag.

It isn't possible to get all advantages without the disadvantages of the constructive solutions.

I choosed the Snugpak SF system because for my central european civil use that fits the best.

The SF1 sleeping bag with SF bivvy bag is the lightest and most compact option with NATO Stock Number I know, and so I took that system. This 3 seasons version is what I use most of the time.

Other users may decide different because they have other needs.

I recommend to understand the both very similar offered sleeping bag systems before you decide to go with the Carinthia or Snugpak system.
Hey there, sorry to revive an older thread but I was wondering as you have used both the Snugpack Special Forces Bivvy and the British Military Bivvy which would you choose of the two for use in the UK? Will be using with a groundsheet and a tarp for the most part.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
No easy answer, it really depends!

For small persons and those who work at a writing desk, for hiking the SF.

For hiking generally if you aren't really strong rather the SF.

If you plan to use it also southern from Britain the SF. Around Berlin for example the MOD bivvy is too warm during the summer. In hot weather a zipper in the bivvy helps a lot!

If you plan to use it additional in a tent sometimes, the SF.

If you are older than 40 and no Yoga teacher the SF.

For mainly summer use in Britain the SF.

If there is a realistic risk that you suddenly need to jump up and run away or fight, for example because you also sleep next to railway stations the SF.

Who is relatively strong, use it exclusively in the UK and Scandinavia and Canada or similar cold areas, doesn't hike so often with it longer distances and wants a cheap and long lasting robust bivvy bag, the British army bivvy bag is an interesting option. Especially if you sleep also without additional shelter in the open and mainly from Autumn to Spring.

But don't get me wrong, I personally use the SF all the year round and mainly without additional shelter.

Both I recommend to put onto the roll mat (or folding army mat in warm conditions) to avoid to get small holes in it.

Last edited:
Reactions: arthem

arthem

Jun 14, 2021
United Kingdom
@Erbswurst Many thanks for the reply!

From what I can tell, the snugpak is better than or equal to the British Military bivvy in pretty much all aspects except that the British Military bivvy is slightly more robust.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I have both. Snugpak SF for when I need it lightweight. Army surplus bivvy bag if bombproof robustness is the name of the game. I can also get away with a lighter season sleeping bag with the army surplus one. The Snugpak SF is a fair bit narrower than the surplus one as well, something to bear in mind if you're of bigger build. I have slept out in the open with both types, without overhead cover and both work equally. The added benefit of the surplus bag being you can get your gear stashed in the bottom of it if your not too tall (over 6ft). Also, you can use the surplus bivvy as a floatation raft if youre river crossing.... I dont think the Snugpak could handle the weight of all your gear inside it, but that may be a mute point.

If I had to only choose one of them until the end of my days, I'd keep the army surplus one without a doubt. Heavier yes, but its bigger, much more robust, adds more warmth and can get dirty without affecting its performance in the short term. I'd be confident to abuse it knowing it will take the beating, not so much with the Snugpak SF...

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I agree in every point, but:

May be that my old olive green British army bivvy bags need a spray onto the outer side to become more water repellent, may be my German army Goretex suit should be treated like this too.

But my impression is, that the Snugpak SF bivvy bag is much faster drying.
That's nearly irrelevant if we talk about jackets, but pretty relevant if we use a short intermission in the rain to jump out of the sleeping bag and to stuff sleeping bag and bivvy bag half whet into the dry bag, what I can do with the SF1 and SF bivvy bag.

Once I went with a colleague and his car on a tour to hang up posters for classical concerts. The plan was to go in the end by car and ferry on a little german island, he would drive around and hang up posters in the villages, I would hang up the posters in the little town, and we wanted to leave with the last ferry of the day.

But when we arrived I realised that the ferry was horrible expensive for the car. And I decided to send him home with his car and to poster the island on foot and by bicycle.
But when I arrived I didn't find a sensible priced accomodation and ther is no camping ground on the island.

The only lonely area of this very touristic island is a part with flat medows and extremely narrow cutted hedges.
In the days it was dry but it rained every night all the night and I didn't put up a poncho roof as I wanted to stay undetected.
Here I did what I usually wouldn't do.
I slept in my polyester - cotton mix and cotton clothing in the SF1 and SF bivvy in the open and stuffed it every morning whet into the dry bag and didn't air it during a whole week.

Surprisingly the system didn't built up moisture from day to day. In the mornings my clothing was a bit sweaty as usual, but dried pretty soon and the sleep system stood dry although I treated it against every classical rule.

I didn't pull the sleeping bag out of the bivvy bag, I just closed both and stuffed them together into the dry bag.

And I assume that also stood dry because the fabric dried so incredibly fast from outside.

But I wouldn't say that the SF bivvy bag is better than the British army bivvy.

It is as good as impossible to break accidentally the army bag, no zipper, no zipper failure! It could be the construction of a Russian engineer.

But I also think, that the SF bivvy bag is the better choice for recreational hiking and stealth camping.

Otherwise I have to tell you that I usually get rid of non convincing stuff but still own TWO British army bivvy bags. Because they are convincing.

Reactions: Van-Wild

arthem

Jun 14, 2021
United Kingdom
@Erbswurst Thank you for the detailed reply.
It is as good as impossible to break accidentally the army bag, no zipper, no zipper failure! It could be the construction of a Russian engineer.
True :)

How much thicker and larger is the Army bag compared to the Snugpack SF?
Also what groundsheet do you normally use?

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Much thicker!
The army bag folds down to the size of a rolled jeans, the SF bivvy bag to the size of an apple.

Of course you know that the bivvy exists, but the SF bivvy bag is like a second skin of the sleeping bag. It's a bit narrower but anyway 800 g British army bivvy versus 340g SF bivvy describes the relation very well. What's missing in fabric weight is added by the zipper.

You surely know the extremely light civil rain jackets that often can be stuffed in the own pocket? The SF bivvy fabric is approximately like this. But it's Nylon, and that is far stronger than civil polyester fabric rain jackets.
My Hilleberg tent fabric is similar and that is storm proof for every realistic wind speed.
Nearly all current military stuff is nylon too by the way, rucksacks, sleeping bags, whatever. Civil stuff is usually polyester.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I agree in every point, but:

May be that my old olive green British army bivvy bags need a spray onto the outer side to become more water repellent, may be my German army Goretex suit should be treated like this too.

But my impression is, that the Snugpak SF bivvy bag is much faster drying.
That's nearly irrelevant if we talk about jackets, but pretty relevant if we use a short intermission in the rain to jump out of the sleeping bag and to stuff sleeping bag and bivvy bag half whet into the dry bag, what I can do with the SF1 and SF bivvy bag.

Once I went with a colleague and his car on a tour to hang up posters for classical concerts. The plan was to go in the end by car and ferry on a little german island, he would drive around and hang up posters in the villages, I would hang up the posters in the little town, and we wanted to leave with the last ferry of the day.

But when we arrived I realised that the ferry was horrible expensive for the car. And I decided to send him home with his car and to poster the island on foot and by bicycle.
But when I arrived I didn't find a sensible priced accomodation and ther is no camping ground on the island.

The only lonely area of this very touristic island is a part with flat medows and extremely narrow cutted hedges.
In the days it was dry but it rained every night all the night and I didn't put up a poncho roof as I wanted to stay undetected.
Here I did what I usually wouldn't do.
I slept in my polyester - cotton mix and cotton clothing in the SF1 and SF bivvy in the open and stuffed it every morning whet into the dry bag and didn't air it during a whole week.

Surprisingly the system didn't built up moisture from day to day. In the mornings my clothing was a bit sweaty as usual, but dried pretty soon and the sleep system stood dry although I treated it against every classical rule.

I didn't pull the sleeping bag out of the bivvy bag, I just closed both and stuffed them together into the dry bag.

And I assume that also stood dry because the fabric dried so incredibly fast from outside.

But I wouldn't say that the SF bivvy bag is better than the British army bivvy.

But I also think, that the SF bivvy bag is the better choice for recreational hiking and stealth camping.

Otherwise I have to tell you that I usually get rid of non convincing stuff but still own TWO British army bivvy bags. Because they are convincing.
As the surplus bag gets older, they do need retreating. The last bag that I had to do was over 6 years old and had been hammered. The most I cared for it was letting it dry if it was damp and then using a hand brush to remove loose dirt.... I dont like using gear that demands a ton of maintainance or careful handling in the field. When it really started looking tired I simply brought a new one for the princely sum of £25. They're really common in a lot of Army Surplus stores in the UK.

I dont use a ground sheet. I either sleep directly on a roll mat (if I am using the closed cell type) or I put a shorter air mat inside the bivvy bag, with the sleeping bag. When I wake up, I get out, deflate the air mat inside the bivvy bag, then roll it all up together nice and compact, before stuffing the lot in my pack. This method has always held up for extended periods without issue.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Instead of throwing the old one away one can shorten it and give it to the dog.

Once they understood it, they like it too!

I know that others also like their ruffwear rucksacks. Solognac sells a good collapsible bowl. And so on.

You can create also a high quality bushcraft equipment for your dog.

(Unsure if they prefere matches, Bic lighters or ferrocerium rod though.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Van-Wild

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I also think that a ground sheet is nonsense. Just the bivvy bag on closed cell foam mat is the best way to go in my opinion.

We did use in the cotton tents a German army poncho as ground sheet, (outer side is ground side of course). But then, yes, ones upon a time, we didn't use roll mats or bivvy bags and just put the clothing of the day under the sleeping bag if the ground was cold.
But we had a well sized fire in the tent...

Last edited:
Reactions: Van-Wild and arthem

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Hey there, sorry to revive an older thread but I was wondering as you have used both the Snugpack Special Forces Bivvy and the British Military Bivvy which would you choose of the two for use in the UK? Will be using with a groundsheet and a tarp for the most part.
I haven’t used the Snugpak one, but I’ve borrowed a British army one (not sure what model, it was olive green) in the past and it was great for cold weather bivvying up. It is huge and the opening is massive, so it’s easy to get in and out of, plenty of room to move around in and plenty of space for even a winter sleeping bag without compressing the loft. It doesn’t pack down small, but I just left it around the sleeping bag and stuffed the whole thing down into my backpack. If you do that it’s hardly noticeable in terms of volume, even if the weight certainly is. I’ve never used a groundsheet when bivvying, as between the sleeping mat and the bivvy bag there is no need for one. Also I would be worried about wind-driven rain pooling under me if I used a ground sheet. I normally use a Rab bivvy bag, which is a lot less sturdy (and much lighter material), and it’s been fine too, especially since the mat protects it from most of the abrasion from the ground. Just pick a sensible spot and use a tarp above to give you a bit of shelter.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I am not totally sure but I think that depending on the outside temperature and moisture a tighter fitting bivvy bag works better than a wider fit. (If it's the same fabric.)

As far as I understood the moisture transport works the better the higher is the temperature difference between inside and outside.

But the more air room is between sleeping bag and bivvy bag fabric, the colder is the air inside this space.

Don't get me wrong, the large military bags obviously work well. (But they are constructed for also pretty large sleeping bags.)

I often read things like "The military bivvy bag has plenty of room and you can cram a lot of stuff in it" and always ask myself if that is so easy to understand. Boots below the freezing point, a bit moist clothing perhaps might be a good idea.

But apart from my large teddy bear collection I usually don't cram any stuff into my bivvy bag.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE