Bivi Bag Question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dazrick

Jul 17, 2010
Birmingham
I'm planning a round the world trip, and have some of my gear ready to be tested, but one of my gear choices is a little hard.

Over time before going rtw i will be going on smaller trip round Britain to get used to my gear and work out what's best to take and best to leave.

I don't know whether to get the Military Bivi from backpackinglight or the Rab Storm Bivi, it needs to be durable so I'm itching towards the military one, but still not quite sure.
Any advice?

Sep 24, 2010
UK
I just picked up the British Army issue DPM bivvi and it's built like a tank. It's getting its first outing this coming weekend so I can't comment on actual use yet, but I can check back in once I've given it a run-through!

mike 01302

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2010
doncaster
i have used the same bivi bag that was issued to me in 1996, kept it once i left it has never let me down once (speaks for itself really mate)

iamasmith

Forager
Aug 12, 2009
London
Got a plain issue Goretex bivvi myself. Pretty robust, very waterproof and good and breathable. I'm prone to getting overheated at night but this is pretty good. This and my Tilley hat sat over my face if the shelter drips a little and I'm happy ^^

Dazrick

Jul 17, 2010
Birmingham
Does anyone know what the military one from backpacking light is like?
I'd prefer DPM but that seems a little harder to get as everywhere I look I can only find olive.

EDIT
Military Bivi

I found this at strikeforce supplies and its a military one, but does not say whether is Goretex or MVP, it simply states that its breathable.
As its a military one, would it be Goretex or MVP?

Last edited:

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
+1 for the "MODDPMMVP" bivvy. I've been using one of these for three years in my fair(ish) weather kit and find it great. Very cheap, strong and light, simple to use and nothing to break or lose. It has plenty of room to read, write and eat in, as much room as any hooped bivvy. Having no midge net is a bit of let down but not a great problem and with the opening facing downwards it's as weatherproof as any expensive bivvy. Unissued OD bivvy bags are a lot less military looking but are getting much harder to source. Hope I've been of help.
Happy trails...torc.

Dazrick

Jul 17, 2010
Birmingham
I'll get the one from strikeforcesupplies then, being "Genuine UK Forces Issue" I'll assume Goretex or MVP and being DPM patterned, its what I'm looking for.
Thanks for the Advice.

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
I thought MVP was a generic GoreTex.
I have an issue DPM and an issue OD bivvy, both with NSN codes. The OD has a 95cm opening and the DPM has 120cm.
Like I said, the DPM bag has tonnes of room, it's much less constricting than other bags, but if space is a problem try a solo tent.
I bought one of these recently, http://www.fieldandtrek.com/wild-country-tents-aspect-1-tent-783141. It's well made, cheap and weighs just a smidgen under 2kg, my DPM bivvy weighs 835g.
Happy trails...torc.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...I'm planning a round the world trip..."

Which parts of the world will you travel through?

How often do you plan to use a bivibag?

I would suggest that you either buy the lightest bag you can find, as even if you plan to travel by air, road or rail you will still end up walking a fair old distance or buy the cheapest you can find as (like most of your gear) there is a good chance that it will be lost or stolen along the way.

If you are not going to be using it so much but need protection from the odd rainy night, why not just roll yourself into a poncho or cheap tarp?

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Id go as light as possible. Try Backpacking light UK site. They do light tarps and bivvy bags. I use a Rab SZ which is durable enough for my needs but there are better Rab ones on that saite for durability but still half the weight of the issue ones. The tarp can weigh as little as 148g so next to nothing to carry. If going RTW then you will appreciate weight loss in your kit. Also if you are not planning to use it much then making it as light and low volume as poss is best.

Of course the issue is built tough for a good reason, squaddies! If its your own gear are you going to be as tough on it? Realistically look at how and where you are going to use your gear. Don't assume you need bombproof kit, light and durable could be good enough. I actually know people who have failed issue bivvies but have cheap and light bivvies such as the hunka frrom alpkit or the Rab SZ that have performed better for them. Mind you I thin one guy was unlucky inthat his was not right from the start.

DV...

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2010
East of England
I'd suggest the Aplkit Hunka or Hunka xl depending on your size. Half the weight of an issue bag and does exactly as it says on the tin. I kipped in one with no overhead cover Saturday night during torrential downpours at Dinas Rock Sth Wales and was dry and toasty until I got up LOL Doss mat underneath helps to protect the bag as obviously it's thinner than the issue bag.

Dazrick

Jul 17, 2010
Birmingham
Which parts of the world will you travel through?

How often do you plan to use a bivibag?

At the moment my destinations are a little vague, but so far I have been looking at a route that will take me to some cities and wilderness areas throughout Europe, Africa, Asia, and Australia, and if I can Ill also be going to Canada, Alaska, Some US wilderness and Hopefully the Amazon Jungle, as the time I have will be as much as I want, I'm going all out while I can.

As to how often I'll use the bivi, most likely on the nights I don't use the hammock, I don't want to take a tent so I'm taking a Tarp, Hammock, Sleeping Bag and Mat, Plus, One of those "Original Space Blankets" which will be able to give me extra warmth if I need to. So far i only need a few last bits and bobs as well as a bivi, and my bag feels quite light, even with 3 litres of water. The only additions to it will be the food, which I've compensated for with a further 5 litres of water(to get used to weight) and I feel ok.

buy the cheapest you can find as (like most of your gear) there is a good chance that it will be lost or stolen along the way.

...That's not very encouraging to know.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Just a thought, but if you're taking a hammock, can't you get one that will double up as a bivvy if you go to ground? Save on space and the additional weight.

Forager
Jun 16, 2008
North East
How long are you going for by the way?

I've got experience of the both the Issue Olive (MVP) bag and the RAB storm bag, both do the job as well as each other, I'd be happy with either.

The Issue bag feels more durable but packs down to over twice the size of the RAB and is quite a bit heavier.
If I were using the bag every night I would probably go with the issue bag and take the size and weight on the chin, If I were using it a few times a week I would go with the RAB bag for the weight and size saving.

On a side note, although I have no actual experience of this I think I would try to make my setup look as civilian as possible if I were traveling through unfamiliar countries especially non-english speaking ones.

ATB

Dazrick

Jul 17, 2010
Birmingham
How long are you going for by the way?

feels more durable but packs down to over twice the size of the RAB and is quite a bit heavier.

On a side note, although I have no actual experience of this I think I would try to make my setup look as civilian as possible if I were traveling through unfamiliar countries especially non-english speaking ones.

Honestly, I'm going for as long as my funds for this trip will allow me. Might even see if I can get a little work out to stay travelling longer, so I don't actually quite know, but hopefully at least 1 year.

Also the military look of some of my gear did concern me, but a lot of my gear will be in my rucksack and will only be coming out of a night, where I'll either be stealth camping, so no-one should see me or my gear, or I'll be too far from civilisation to need to worry.
The main reason I was looking at the military bivi's is because of the actual (desired) length of my trip.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...so no-one should see me or my gear, or I'll be too far from civilisation to need to worry..."

Your gear will also be seen at border crossings or when the kids riding atop of the bus rummage through your pack looking for cigarettes and iPods :)

Having military gear with you in some parts of the world, especially parts of Africa might get you into a spot of bother.

That said I wore a 5.11 shirt on quite a long trip in Africa and had no problems, maybe the baggy shorts and flip flops offset the military look. :)

...That's not very encouraging to know.

Your stuff will be lost, stolen and broken regardless of how tough it is, that shouldn't discourage you, its really only important that you make it back, hopefully with some photos and great tales to post on BCUK.

The more stuff you have with you, the more weighed down you will be, not just physically but mentally. The constant worry of looking after your gear will detract from your enjoyment of the journey and will limit the choices you can make and opportunities you can take advantage of.

I can assure you that on this trip you will need much less than you think, good well worn in boots and a comfortable 'small-ish' pack are probably the two really important things, anything else you can buy, make or trade for along the way.

Have fun.

Last edited:

Dazrick

Jul 17, 2010
Birmingham
The main worry at the border crossings for me is the fact I'll have a knife or two, as well as my saw, should not be much of a problem once they have seen the rest of gear and realise what there for.
I do agree that inevitably some gear will be lost along the way, but hopefully not too much and not too quickly.
As for the pictures, I'll be taking as many as I can.

As for the bivi, as I'm not going for a while, I'll get the military one, and through testing it, if I don't like it, I 'should' have time to get another one.

Thanks For all of the Advice Given.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE