Bivi bag question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Well, I managed to secure a new British Army goretex bag, used once, for the princely sum of £30 delivered, which I think seems good value.

Now I have a simple question that aficionados of the BBag will no doubt know the answer to and that is very simply, what's the best way to get into it?

Should I put the sleeping bag in (open) and wiggle my way down into the two OR do you get in your kip bag and then shuffle your way in rather like a tall plump caterpillar?

I know it may seem a dumb question but genuinely any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for your time as always,

David.

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
Place the kip mat inside, put in the sleeping bag, open, then shuffle down into it, get yourself comfy and pull up the zip. Dead simple.:)

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I had to have a think about this! I normally put the sleeping bag inside the bivvy then grab the two bags at the top and wiggle in. This stops you getting your sleeping bag wet before you get in which is what you're trying to avoid!

Cheers,

Alan

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Thanks folks, I thought that might be the case. I had visions of hopping around in some form of Nanok sack race style otherwise.

Now, kip mat inside? I thought it went outside to protect the bag from sharp stones and suchlike. Inside would keep it in place I guess and make me less likely to roll off it during the night, but would the Goretex stand up to that sort of use?

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I always put my kipmat inside too, stops you slipping off it. You need to protect both from sharp pointy things so you pays your money, I'd rather fix a small hole in my bivvy than a small hole in my self-inflating kipmat. Obivously if you use a foamy thang then this is not an issue. It's a good idea to make a wee bed of something to lie on anyway, bracken, pine branches, leaves.

Cheers,

Alan

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Thanks again for your advice. Looking forward to my first night on the floor now, I've used the hammock (which is wonderfully comfortable) but there isn't always somewhere for me to tie it. Certainly either of these options is a lot lighter than my previous sleeping arrangements.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE