Biting the spoon

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Despite being married some eight years now to a Barry Island lass and living in Wales for the last seven I have never bought her a traditional Welsh love spoon let alone made one. A fact she has been reminding me of repeatedly and bilingually in her native tongue using many words that Google refuses to translate since she saw the crude spoon I whittled up on my visit last month to Clynfyw.

So to make amends. I've raided the piggy-bank fund I was saving up for a new sleeping bag and bought my first ever set of proper woodcarving tools from off Ebay.
If anybody hears hysterical laughter coming from a graveyard that'll be my old school woodwork teacher.

attachment.php

They arrived this afternoon so me and the dog will both be off up the woods later looking for big sticks to drag home :)
Made by 'Gilles' in Lithuania and just under £40 for the set including postage, can't grumble at that price.

Attachments

• carving-tools.jpg
    carving-tools.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 70

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
More than half of the work is keeping your tools "carving sharp."
Being able to sustain useful bevel angles at better than razor blade sharp, day in and day out.
There must be half a dozen different methods with the same result.

Don't fall in love with what you carve and be prepared to kill off a bunch of them.
Looks like a useful variety for spoons & small bowls.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Am no stranger to stropping my Opinel so I'll be fine with the straight blade, but getting the knack for quickly sharpening the crook & gouge I think is going to take me a little longer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE