Bison Ventile on Ebay

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RJP

Jan 22, 2004
Kent
Just been surfing on ebay and found this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ventile-Jacke...ryZ16042QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's not mine and I am not bidding as it is probably too small plus I have just bought a nice new windproof jacket. Just thought that it might do someone here.

Those interested in a good jacket I have just bought a Norrona Anojacket. I am very impressed, very well made and comfortable :) . A word of note on sizing though - these are massive. I am 6'5" so I ordered an XXL and there is massive body and arm length, great for me but I was suprised by the size. It means I can fit my Swandri Bushshirt underneath!. Their internet ordering was very efficient, I had the jacket in under 7 days.

RJP.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Damnit! *bangs head on desk* See, if the Canadian dollar to Pound Sterling wasn't so horrible, I'd probably go and buy that lovely jacket. Why, you ask? It's simple, my Mother's stolen my Ventile parka. It started off with "Adam, it's raining, can I wear this to work?" and then it turned into "Ooooh...it's to soft, and it's cotton...and it's waterproof." And then me in my infinite wisdom decided to show her the website for Talbot Weaving, and give her a short gear-junkie history lesson on Ventile.

Now she says "Where can we get a new one for cheap?" :twak:

Adam

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Stew,

That's a good point, I hadn't thought of that. Can you recommend me a good site for Ventile seconds? The only trouble is the currency exchange and shipping rates. If it's not too much trouble, could you help me out with that? It would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Adam

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
Addyb I was at a loose end last night and found these ventiles in the states ohttp://www.coolantarctica.com/Shop/antarctica-clothing/ventile-clothing.htm They are on sale just wondered if the prices are better than buying from uk?
Dave.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Nemesis,

Cool Antarctica is a great site, I've visited it many times. It was one of the first websites I ever went to when I was on my gear-junkie quest to learn anything and everything that there is to know about Ventile. For instance, did you know that Ventile, because of the high quality yarn used and and overly-tight weave, only absorbs 10% of it's weight in moisture? That is VERY different from "everyday" cotton clothing.

On the other hand, if I were to buy another Ventile jacket, I'd definately want a smock of some type.

Can anyone find me a website that sells seconds?

And thanks, Nemesis. :)

Adam

Neil Mac'

Jan 14, 2006
Midlands
Hi folks,

I recall that seams on ventile clothing have to be rolled to prevent water ingress. I think someone at Snowsled told me this. It would be worth checking out if you intend to make your own.

Best wishes,

Neil Mac'

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Nemesis, THANK YOU SIR!

I did a currency conversion, and a square metre of Ventile in Canadian dollars is $54.94. You see what I mean about our awful dollar? Anyway, we'll call it $55 dollars for argument's sake. I am five foot nine, about nine stone. (Skinny, yeah I am. Really great looking, definately) About how many square metres do you think I would need to make a hooded smock, similar to an SAS model? We'll not bother to calculate the cost of buttons, zippers, of thread, because I can take care of that here.

I'm as giddy as a child at christmas....cheap Ventile!

Adam

Oh and Neil Mac, you're right, Ventile does need to have rolled seams. Of course, they still let the rain in eventually, but it does take a good couple hours!

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
Stuart F's wife made him one for xmas have a word with him don't know how to post the thread link search under ventile xmas comes early
Dave.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Stuart,

Yeah, 3 metres sounds about right. But, I'll have to think about it. It turns out the prices I quoted in this thread before this post were for new Ventile, and not seconds. The seconds are 10 Pounds Sterling, which is $20.60 Canadian. I look at that as only about two packs of cigarettes, and it's for a metre square of the fabric.

If it goes through, and I order some fabric and get a smock made up, I will definately post it on here. But as a back-up plan, I have something "hush-hush" going on on the side. It might be more free Ventile from another old climber friend of my Dad's, and if it goes through, from what I've heard, this parka is green and supposed to be in far better condition than the pics I posted of my orange one that's been to Afghanistan and Peru.

Only time will tell!

Adam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE