Bison Tinde 4 - fireproof?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 13, 2007
france
I have just received my Tinde 4 from Bison in Norway. Bought it for it's good floorspace/weight ratio ( need to keep hold baggage weight down when flying ), and also to test the tipi/lavvu concept at a reasonable price. Being synthetic I had no intentions of using a stove or firebox inside the tent. But now reading through old posts I come across this from Moonraker, which I assume is a translation from the Norwegian...

"Bison - Tinde 4

[few words corrected] "TINDE is our lightweight alternative to the TUNDRA-tipi. It consists of a light, but strong polyester rip-stop fabric, aluminium telescope-pole, steel-pegs and guys. Mesh (mossie net) in the entrance area. Taped seams. Other solutions and measures are similar to the TUNDRA-model. The fabric is waterproof. 3500mm water column, heat treated so that heating, both with an open fire and stoves are optional."

Does this mean the synthetic fabric is fireproof/fire resistant? I can't read Norwegian myself, the english part of Bison's website seems to have no useful information on the subject, and I can see no independent way of verifying the above fire-worthiness short of cutting a piece of cloth out of the Tinde and trying to set fire to it - which I'm not about to do.

Has anyone else had a stove/firebox in their Tinde, any incendiary experiences or comments on the above?

( I could just ring the guy at Bison I suppose but I'd like some feedback from other owners first...)

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
No it's not fireproof, I have a couple of holes in mine to prove that, when I was using my kifaru stove and removed both ember screens from the stovepipe to clean them whilst fire was in operation!:banghead:

Jan 13, 2007
france
Brendan, thanks for your reply. I sent an email to the man at Bison in Norway...

Could you tell me if the Tinde 4 is fireproof/fire resistant? I would like to use a stove in the tent but I would prefer to be sure that it's safe to do so, and I can find no information on your website.

And the reply...

Hello! Tinde 4 is fire resistant. But be aware that it does not mean that it can’t be to hot! It is important to use a isolation pipe on the outside of the smoke pipe.

All tents that is fire resistant can start burning. So it is important to be careful. But as you know there is about 2 meters from the heat source to the tent wall. It would have o be extreme temperature to put it on fire. All people and gear between the stove and the tent wall, would have to be to hot first.

Med vennlig hilsen / Best regards

Beaver Kano & Bison Telt

Vidar Falck-Muus

+4794398444/+4764925500

vidar@beaver.no

www.beaver.no

So there we are. I'll be building a propane gas bottle stove with spark arrester as soon as the summer is over, using an isolator pipe around the chimney of course, and, as the man says, taking great care.

( By the way, this guy has been very good to deal with, prompt replies to emails and good service when ordering direct over the phone )

Solitude

Tenderfoot
In response to Marcs thread:

I have www.madbearoutdoors.co.uk and we supply Tinde and Tundra in the UK along with one other shop. Vidar is a great guy but please realise guys that the VAT and Customs Duty added together is 29.5% and you will be 95% certain to get charged eventually if not straight away. Why not try the UK suppliers and you will pay no duty or VAT if they are not registered.

Good luck with your propane gas stove, sounds good. Let us see the piccys

(message for mod : I hope the above is ok mr. mod, although i am a BCUK member i get worried about advertising, but where i didnt start the thread i thought i would let everyone know that there are some £££ savings on importing them direct.)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE