Birthday present - Tarp coming. knowledge, experience and advice needed.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
About 4 years ago I bought a DD tarp. First time I used it, I tied it to a tree and all was going great until I realised I and the tarp were now covered in ants! I hadn't seen the woodants nest nearby. After that I never really bothered with it as I always did day trips that were walking through the woods. I remember I had some printouts of what knots to tie, how to adjust, pitch etc. I think I learned evenk knot. It has been years so forgotten everything now.

My birthday is coming up and I am thinking tarp setup but I don't have any knowledge or experience. I hope you can help please. My aim is to get a light weight setup so I can have a walk about the woods and pitch up. I was in a vango banshee 200 and hated not being able to see out. I am guessing I need tarp, bivvy bag, guy lines, some sort of reflective pad to lay on so the cold doesn't get me. If I could get as much advice as possible I can make an informed purchase and let family know what they have got me for my birthday!

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
If you are not using a hammock then I would say a 3x3 tarp is too big. You just need a decent basha, highlander do a good one (the british army ones are good but heavy). Any mat will do for sleeping but if you fancy splashing out (or someon in your family does) you can't beat the thermarest neoair, expensive but super light and packs down to nothing. Some paracord will do you for all your cordage needs. Certainly a bivi bag is pretty essential when on the ground, ex army one on eBay prob best. Obviously you will need a decent sleeping bag too.

rg598

Native
I'm not a fan of bivi bags. I used to use one, but then stopped; no problem at all. If you are worried about moisture on the ground, just bring along an opened up trash bag to put under the sleeping pad. These days I don't even bother with that. You'll get different opinions on the matter.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rg598

Native
I'm not a fan of bivi bags. I used to use one, but then stopped; no problem at all. If you are worried about moisture on the ground, just bring along an opened up trash bag to put under the sleeping pad. These days I don't even bother with that. You'll get different opinions on the matter.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
If your kipping in the woods n your not confident in your tarp set up I'd get a gortex bivi bag.the army issue ones a good.i use too have a bivi bag/vango nightstar kip bag/thermarest ridge rest foam mat with an issue basha over the top.this was before I discovered hammocking that is

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE