Birds of Prey

inthewids

Nomad
Aug 12, 2008
Morayshire
I have been thinking about this for a while now, i have always wanted an owl or small bird e.g kestrel as a working bird/pet, does anyone know where i could buy one? I thought maybe a shelter or similar, i would build a good sized avery and train it to catch things (hopefully) any information would be grateful.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I would say its best to get down to a falconry center and get some advice. There are a few near me but a quick google should find one close to you.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
When I was into it years ago "cage and avery birds" was the place they were advertised. You really need to get well clued up before getting a bird, lots of reading and ideally a coarse or time spent with people that do it. Owls and kestrels are very poor beginners birds, they don't hunt and being small and lightweight they are difficult to keep at that point where they are just a little bit hungry which is the key to training. Much better off with a buzzard, harris or similar. It really is a very serious commitment of time do you have min half an hour every day 365 days a year and ideally more to devote to it?

Scrimmy

Forager
Mar 11, 2008
Whitley Bay
www.freewebs.com
You need a lot of experience to look after a bird of prey, get down to a local falconry center, due a course and generally help out for at least a year, along with reading loads of books, its a very time consuming sport and not to be taken lightly, getting down to a falconry center will answer all your questions, cheers Cain

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
From what I've heard, a Harris hawk is one of the best for a beginner to use.
You need to have a lot of committment though - every single day.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I will go to the falconry and find out more about this, i would have the spare time, thanks for the information Robin.

You do understand that by having a bird of prey you are literally giving up any chance of holidays of more than 1 night for the duration. Also i hope your not bothered about needing stitches? They have a tendancy to "catch" you. A decent sized bird can also snap your arm like a matchstich should it feel slightly miffed with you. So better not pi55 em off.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I wonder if you could tell us how many people you know of who have had their arms broken like a matchstick by a bird of prey?:)

None pesonally, One of my friends used to keep a hawk and his brother had an owl. His owl could generate nearly 1000lbs of pressure per foot. It takes 70lb of pressure in the right place to break a human leg, this bird could crush a human skull easily with one foot/claw/talon what ever you want to call it.

I said it 'could' snap your arm like a matchstick not that it will. It has the strength to do it easily. I was going to take it up about 4 years ago but i was honest with myself and realised that i could not offer it the commitment it needs.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE