Birck Bark Boxes : Fastenings... please help

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
I did a search, here, on youtube and on google, but I'm either getting the wrong search terms or there is nowt to be found.

What I would like to know is, how do you fasten the two loose edges of a birch bark container without sewing or gluing... I found this vid here:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OaKRmG9TFIU

And I would love to make one, hobbo is going to make another video when he makes another box, but that could be weeks away.

Please can someone point me in the right direction on how he joins the two ends together without glue or sewing please :)

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
on one end you cut flaps that can be either like the sticky out bit on a jigsaw puzzle or more like an arrow, on the other end you cut a slot as big as the neck of the arrow or puzzle bit. fold the tangs of the arrow in, poke it through the slot and open tangs on inside, job done. Not a good explanation but it is quick and easy, if no one else has photos easily I'll take some and put them up.

Here's one I made a while ago with a lithuanian one complete with spruce root stitching.

IMG_3282.jpg

If you enjoy Hobo's videos he is hoping to come to the UK to do a couple of bowmaking courses in May.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Wow thank you robin, I think a pic would help out a bit, but from your description, I reckon I can get the hang of it.

Re Hobbo: I'd love to go on one of his courses, his videos are amazing, and so inspired. I have to say I'm a bit of a fan :)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hey Cobweb,
I've seen the method in two places recently but I'm not sure how to get it to you without infringing any copyright.
First was on a RM DVD, one of the Extra features on Bushcraft.
Second was in the Living Woods magazine advertised as a freebie on application on here a few weeks ago - AndyN did a very good write up.

The method involves drawing out a series of interlocking tabs which, once cut, are tucked inside each other and make a very stylish finish. Andy has some very nice examples on his website (naturescraft) but it only shows the finished article.

Good luck with finding something further.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Wow thank you robin, I think a pic would help out a bit, but from your description, I reckon I can get the hang of it.

Re Hobbo: I'd love to go on one of his courses, his videos are amazing, and so inspired. I have to say I'm a bit of a fan :)
Have a play with some A4 paper, it's quite easy when you've had some practice

Gailainne

Life Member
Sorry it aint going well, I dont seem to have the software installed to compress the video, I'm going out in a bit, but I'll try again tomorrow.

If I cant do that I'll try and draw something up based on the videos, aint promising, but will give it a go.

Stephen

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
i,ll try againhttp://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n251/gill_020/?action=view&current=PB010033.jpg

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Wow, they are pretty skilful, I can't hope to get mine looking like that!

Has anyone got a pic on the inside of one of these boxes where the join is perhaps?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE