birchbark

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
bartjen 2 said:
hello does anyone had the trouble with birchbark witch does not turn into flames when chredded?
Was the bark really dry when you tried it? IF you use only the outer, paper, layers it should burn very well if it is dry. :)

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Even old birch bark should light well because it is quite reinous. As long as it is dry and you shred it fine enough you should have no trouble lighting it with a ferro rod.
I don't know how you are "shredding" the bark, but I have seen some people struggle to light birch bark because they cut it into strips rather than making it really fine. The strips can still be as thick and as hard to light as an untouched piece of bark. If you have not yet tried it, try scraping the bark with your knife blade at 90 degrees or so to the bark to produce really fine papery scrapings. these should light easily.
I find it easiest to do with a good sized piece of bark, scraping it with a really sharp knife. I scrape it to and fro along the "grain" of the bark (Imagine that the bark was still on the tree, then scrape it left to right). This makes two piles of scrapings, one at each end of the scraped area. I then scrape the two small heaps into one big heap and light it with the ferro rod. Let us know how you get on.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
You should only need to scrape it as mention if you intend it to catch a spark.

If you want to light it with a match, you can fold a strip of thin bark concertina style and it should readily burn well.
Its all in the preparation.
Remember the seven P's - Prior Preparation and Planning Prevent a P**s Poor Performance!:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE