Birch Spoons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Couple of Birch spoons from earlier this week, both carved from a quarter log of Birch and completed with a tooled finish.

First up, small eating spoon

DSCN5210BWa.jpg

Second up, small serving spoon or a big eating spoon

DSCN5188BWa.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They are gorgeous - your work is turning into art rather than skill!

I would love to see some larger spoons being made - I really struggle to find cooking gear in the 18" to 24" range - but with brewing, bulk cooking and preserving, such things are needed!

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Cheers chaps.

@BR - ive just finished a rather large and bulky spoon that's over 30cm in length on a commission for a lady with arthritic hands, she wanted a spoon with a thick, wide handle, purely so she could hold it properly when making preserves, she said the same thing about the lack of big spoons being available - so watch this space in the new year :)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I would love to see some larger spoons being made - I really struggle to find cooking gear in the 18" to 24" range - but with brewing, bulk cooking and preserving, such things are needed!

This is a larger spoon i made as a Christmas gift for one of the landowners i deal with, the spoon is a bit smaller at 12" in length than the 18" to 24" you speak of, but i do enjoy making the larger spoons, so you never know what might turn up in the post one day :)

DSCN4682a.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That looks great Mark!

For me its not size of bowl but length of shaft (ooh err) thats the problem - imagine stirring up pans of this size with a normal spoon (20 and 25 litres)

Large batch of port must by British Red, on Flickr

That lovely spoon you gave me is used all the time for chutneys, soup making and even chilli - but its simply not long enough for these jobs. The worst is beer and wine making which happens in five gallon containers - I have one very rough commercial spoon thats long enough and some horrid plastic paddles that flex :(

Would love to see what you get up to in this area - I'm sure there would be a ready market in both home brew and self sufficiency communities - so don't be sending them to me - you could easily sell them :)

Have a great break - and and please pass our seasonal greetings to Simon - who we still owe a days shooting to!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Those are very fine spoons - the lines and proportions are really nice. And the photographs are cool, too; I love the B&W of the logs behind the spoons, a very good way to show them off......Nice one!

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Those are very fine spoons - the lines and proportions are really nice. And the photographs are cool, too; I love the B&W of the logs behind the spoons, a very good way to show them off......Nice one!

Cheers mate

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE