Birch Spatula

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Hello, BCUK. I'm proud to present my third wood carving project, a spatula made of Birch. I'm really becoming quite fond of woodcarving. I hope you enjoy the little collage of progress photos I stitched together for you.

pv0sYaO.jpg

And here it is sanded:

6yPaDST.jpg

It's a little bit shorter than your average spatula and that's because I had to sacrifice a bit of the log as it had a knot in.

All that's left to do is to oil it, and this time I'm using Walnut oil.

Thanks.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Great stuff, you are getting the hang of this.
I usually make one in the woods on the first day of a trip. If you make them a little thicker on the first day then rather than clean them when black and dirty you simply just shave off the grease :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Looking good :)

Now you have the basics you can do another and work on your symmetry and perhaps cranking the handle so it's easier to slide under your eggs and bacon :)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Thanks for posting :).

I reckon you should have left the knot in to leave a nice grain pattern and make for some harder work :).

Last edited:

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Thanks everyone. As I wasn't using a tutorial for this one I actually forgot to crank the handle. I done that with my spoons and I meant to do it with this spatula, but I forgot. I knew there was something missing.

I'll post a picture of it with the Walnut oil finish soon.

Leiflet

Nomad
Jun 5, 2013
Devon
That's nice. I like a good, wide spatula. And, my goodness, you have probably the most flexible thumb joint I've ever seen.

Cheers,
Leif

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Thanks for all the compliments.

Now, should I bother heating up some Walnut oil or just apply it cold? I'm still trying to figure out will work and look best. I was under the impression that Walnut oil is almost brown, but from the container it looks the same as Linseed oil. Curious.

1 coat a day for three days?

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I just slap it on cold, leave it until it soaks in a bit then slap a load more on then use it.

Don't forget the spatula will pick up a lot of grease and oil as you use so don't be too worried about x number of coats for a week then per month etc as it's not a gun stock or axe handle.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I just slap it on cold, leave it until it soaks in a bit then slap a load more on then use it.

Don't forget the spatula will pick up a lot of grease and oil as you use so don't be too worried about x number of coats for a week then per month etc as it's not a gun stock or axe handle.

I'd second that :).

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Here's the spatula with three coats of Walnut oil on. Put it beside the spoons for comparison. I don't really see the difference between Walnut oil and Linseed oil but hey, I'm happy with it.

XTwP3uT.png

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE