Birch sap drinkable?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
Hello, I have been reading some of the threads on Birch sap so forgive me if its a daft question but can someone please clarify if you can drink Birch Sap straight from the tree or does it need filtering or anything. How do you tell if its Ok to drink or is it always? how long does it keep after being 'tapped'. Many thanks I am puzzled on this one!

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
You can drink it straight from the tree, but it doesn't taste very much, nor does it contain much carbs unless you boil it down.

Since it comes directly from the tree it is always bacteria free unless contaminated. Ants are attracted to the sweetness of the sap, but that just adds some protein! (Just kidding, I at least, remove them before consuming)

A more modern way to improve the taste of the sap is to add sugar. That is the only way I have tried to this date. And that tastes really good! :)

I would assume that it would stay good almost forever if you boil it down into a syrup. But unrefined sap easily molds, so I would advice that you drink it in a day or two.

Torjus Gaaren

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE