Birch polypore

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
I'm having a wee bit of bother trying to make a plaster of birch polypore, i looked up old threads but they don't help.

If i cut the shape of the plaster on the under side, am i supposed to peel it of with my fingers or slice it thinly with a knife?

If i dry it will a small piece added to a bowdrill ember extend it?

Cheers

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
can the thicker pieces be dried and used as a strop?

Yes, one of the best strops, hence the Fungi's other common name "Razor Strop Fungus"

DSCF0664sep2.jpg

http://kepisbushcraft.blogspot.com/2011/03/fungus-strop.html

http://kepisbushcraft.blogspot.com/2011/03/fungus-strop-update.html

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
I have used dried birch polypore as an ember extender it wont catch a spark like a cramp ball or amadou but will take on a bow drill ember.You can use it as a strop glue a strip ontoa peice of wood.Hence it's other name razor strop fungus. edit (you beat me to it)

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
I can never resist a free strop and polish, I don’t even pick them, but I sometimes have a plaster on by the time I’ve finished stroping my knife.
You hardly even damage the Piptoporus betulinus Razor Strop.
But I do like the Kepis way.

Last edited:

alex.c

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2011
England
Speaking of using it as an ember extender i had the same problem with it not catching a spark after drying am i doing anything wrong e.g not prepared right.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
As an ember extender... You need an ember :)

I know of someone that can light PP fluffed up/scraped with a knife and a ferro rod, but I've personally found it very hit and miss.
A slice folded over though with some char cloth lit in the center, or used directly as a coal catcher with a bowdrill set and its pretty good and easy to find.

al.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
ive found its all in the preparation as far as taking a spark is concerned. i have two methods depending on what im using it for

1. to use as an ember in its own right to light a nest of tinder

in this method i dry the whole fungus and then carve into strips about 5mm wide. the serated blade leaves the surface nice and fluffy like polysyrene and it will take a spark from a steel very easily.

2. in conjunction with another tinder (usually charcloth).

this time the fungus is carved whilst fresh and then dried. i usually shave slivers off and wrap it round some ignited char cloth from a traditional flint and steel. if carved thin enough it will flame.

see the difference in texture between the two methods

966afe00.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE