Birch Heaven on Dartmoor

A

andyBruce

After too many nights indoors, I decided to make use of a small stretch of land, about 5.5 acres of mostly Silver Birch, on Dartmoor. (belonging to the family.)

The site is on a gentle slope, next to a road, with poor parking, no water supply, and alot of bracken. Dont get me wrong, I'm not complaining, I'm very well aware that land, with trees, and permission to play with sharp objects is in short supply, so to have use of this land is nothing short of wonderful!
There is fungi in plentiful supply, soon will be bilberries, elderberries and sweet chestnuts too. With plenty of deer sign, and squirrel sign, local buzzards and bunnies there is loads to see and hear!

With just one night, and at very short notice myself and Ivan headed to the hills for a night out. The rain threatened until it got dark, then it rained steadily through until the early hours. I think we were both glad of the tarps and I certainly was glad of my Bivvi bag!

After re-lighting the fire from the warm embers, I put on the kettle for a morning cuppa tea and warmed a Bannock board by the fire while i mixed up a dough. Ivan had to leave after packing his kit, which left me to wander the woodland, re-exploring after too long away.

I think another visit is calling already! Next time i shall try to remember to bring alot more water, and maybe get some invites out earlier too!

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Well Mr Bruce, thankyou for the invite you dark horse , i wont go into detail but i have had better times in my life and it was really good of you to invite me to your little piece of heaven although due to work commitments was too short , not even the rain dampened my my decision to join you and it was great to hook up again, nice spot , and great to get out again .
hopefully we can visit the spot again soon and spend a bit more time exploring, foraging and relaxing , Badger came around today and was quite jealous, i made it sound much more exciting of course.
Once again thanks Andy see you soon pal.

Ivan...

A

andyBruce

we shall have to get badger along too next time, got to sort out the water shortage though! I'm planning some strategic thinning of some spindly bits, to use for shelter building and such like!
Was good to see you, definately do it again soon!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE