birch charcoal

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
anyone know if birch nakes usable charcoal - we've got a very big one fallen by the house.

Yes it does make reasonable charcoal, although not the most robust. It tends to be a bit fragile,so we usually mix birch with sycamore, beech and oak, when we can get it.

If your just looking at making it for personal use, as opposed to wishing to sell it, then it'll be fine.you will tend to have more "fines" or small bits than you would with the other species but even these bits burn ok, it just gets a bit dusty.

What method are you intending to use?

Cheers
R.B.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I've been making small batches of charcoal with birch,
Though mine is on the verge of becoming punk - it seperates under finger pressure into growth ring thick pieces, and when charred, takes a spark from a flint and grows into good embers for pyromania, sorry fire-lighting. Something that I feel could be perpetuated by making the char for tomorrow - on today's fire.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Funnily enough I've got some birch that is going to be charcoaled in the summer.

By some, i mean enough to fill an 8 foot kiln twice over :D I'm having my charcoal supplier come to my woods and run a course in august or september ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE