Birch bark

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
This is probably a stupid question but, if I use and peel off the thin layers of bark of a young silver birch, does it grow back? I only take off what's already loose ?
I thought it did?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
So long as you don't cut the bark and are just peeling the wispy bits off and don't take too much from each tree you're fine.

I tend to wander round various housing estates collecting birch bark from the paper birches that seem to be the predominant birch favoured by planners

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Funnily enough, I had some birch logs from a tree that fell down, about 10" in diameter. A bit rotten down the middle so I just stuck the chainsaw bar in and made a rocket stove. Took a bit to get going (last Thursday) but when I returned to it the following day, all that was left was the bark.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The multiple-layered periderm grows from within. Any removal will appear for the life of that living stem/tree.
I discourage any bark removal from living trees. It's unsightly.
I doubt very much if the remaining periderm will ever bleach to match the appearance of the intact surface.

Even here where large amounts of cottonwood bark are harvested for wood carving, always from wind-thrown/otherwise dead trees.
Bark from paper birch (Betula papyrifera) is taken from logged off trees.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
As others have said - really just the naturally peeling bark of living trees.

It's worth noting however that the bark performs just as well for fire lighting from trees that have been down several years.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
As said earlier, take just the wispy loose bits and only a bit from each tree. How much do you need to start a fire and does every fire you light have to be started with birch bark. An urban setting of 20 trees in a neighbourhood would give you all you need; bit here bit there, come back in 6 months!

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
Just as I thought, as long as it's the whisky bits of a paper birch. The question really came from my neighbour who planted a paper birch 6 years ago .
Thank you all for your replies

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE