Birch bark tar making

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi,

We had ago at making Birch bark tar this afternoon in the woods and the weather was with us , thunder and lighting and guess what rain.
The tarp was put up with a big log one end and the fire the other.

dsc00376ik.jpg

dsc00375s.jpg

dsc00377vo.jpg

dsc00380mz.jpg

dsc00383nz.jpg

Cheers
Topknot

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
The plan is to make stinging nettle cordage and use the tar to rub into the cordage, we will be collecting the stinging nettles in a week or so.

Topknot

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Why rubbed into the cordage ? Surely it will set stiff? Or is that what your after ?

Swmbo has had a nettle necklace on for over a year now with no loss of character......
1f6803eb-f865-a71f.jpg

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
My mate Roger was chatting with a guy at the W/G who had a stand with all different type of cordage on which he makes. somewhere in the chat birch tar was said and fishing lines made from nettles
When this chat was going on i was on another stand.

Topknot

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Its possible he was referring to sealing the cord onto the hook ?
Here's swmbos hook, I can't recal if it was pine/beeswax resin or birch/beeswax....I think it was pine.
02610d45-72bb-86b4.jpg

I wonder if just a very thin smear on the actual line would be what he meant, just to give a little extra binding of the fibres .

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Could be used to prevent the nettle line from continuouisly sweling and shrinking when put in and out of the water repeatedly which would start to break down the fibres and eventually the line itself shortening the its lifespan, lovely hook Mrs Chiseller!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE