Birch bark containers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 16, 2009
South West
Heres a method i found to make bushcraft vessles for just about anything

Use the inner layer of birch bark to make storage boxes or temporary cooking vessles which can also be used for boiling. Sew, safety pin, or tie them near the top to prevent unfolding.

A circle cut peice of birch bark folded into quarters will make a cone-shaped cup, or a boiling vessle of suspended.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Although it should be noted that you should only remove the inner bark from a dead tree or you will damage/kill a live one.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
I found some yesterday while getting some for tinder use, which was thick enough to make a small cup from - it would have been tricky to peel a large enough section to be able to do it, but not impossible. The tree was on it's side and looked like it had been toppled by the recent floods - so the bark was still in good, almost alive, condition.

I'll be going back in a few days - I'll see if I can get a big enough peel to make something out of.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I found some a while back that was all that was left of a rotted out fallen tree.
OK it was full of holes but I managed to get a big enough piece out of it to make a pot with a wooden base and lid...
I never have found any Birchbark big enough and thick enough for realy big (cooking pot) size projects.....yet!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE