Birch bark containers

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I dismantled a rather big dead standing Birch at work the other day and the bark was nice and thick, when I was dropping the pieces down the bark was coming off in nice useable lengths so I decided to make some containers for my kit.

DSC_0194.jpg

Sewn up with waxed thread, the base is held in place with some Hawthorns and Nettle cordage for the loop.

DSC_0197.jpg

My boss wanted one for his matches so I made him one with a piece of sand paper to light them with, could'nt think of anything natural to use in its place so if anyone has any ideas I'd be interested.

DSC_0191.jpg

All the best.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Cheers John,
I was thinking of some sort of rough stone as the base or slate?

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Yes I thought maybe a little segment of slate fastened to the base with resin glue, or maybe inset into the wood base?

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I've been thinking about some sort of bark or something, something tough or sharp, I like the idea of inseting the slate, I've even been thinking about using a shell or some sort of fish skin.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Years ago they used dogfish skin or tope skin, or shark skin as sandpaper for cabinet making, that might be another possibility?

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Ok, feeling stupid now but do you guys use safetymatches or special "bushcraft" matches if you strike them on stone or sandpaper?

don't feel stupid!! Most of us use "swan Vestas" they are "strike anywhere" matches which is good because it doesn't matter if the box gets wet as long as the matches are dry, problem with safet matches is you have to keep both the matches AND the striking surface dry.....if either gets wet you're buggered!!

The other thing about vestas is that they seem to need a long stroke (well, when I strike them they do), before they will light properly. I would think your piece of skin would need to be longish?

I remember as a child watching a man strike a match on a section of shark skin.

I'd be interested to know how your project progresses.

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
i may be wired but i 'm saving up to become eccentric.!
hello sir.
may be apiece of bone with ridges cut into it or a using a brass penny with strong glue! or an old rusty spent gun cartridges, plenty in the woods.

the interceptor boy.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
I have also seen designes with a peice of 'ridged' bone for the striker. But i was sceptical about how it would be used wirh 'normal matches'. Can you even buy the old red headed swan ones anymore...have not seen them for some time (although not exactly been searching for them).
I think the bone striker is in one of Mears's books - dont let that put you off though ;-)

Nice containers Simon I will have a look next time we meet , I was going to suggest Dog fish skin as a striker as well great minds and all that ;) A piece of polished bone with a cross hatch pattern cut in to it would be nice hanging from the lid though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE