BioLite Stove with USB port

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

East Coaster

Forager
Oct 21, 2008
Fife/Scotland
I see the Campstove weighs 935 grams. In other words the same as about 85 AAA batteries.
Seems very smart technology I admit, but I can't think of any occassion I'd need something like this, even on an extended hiking trip.
Will be interesting to see how you all get on with them.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I dont want to be down on this but am i right in saying to feed the fuel you have to take the pot off the top risking spillage or burning and how des the air flow work. Normaly the air flow is from the bottom upwards and from the pics i cant see any vents. Also will it not be awkward to light just from the top. All the wood burners i see have a fuel feed hole low down on the side.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
As far as how it works, check out the diagrams on the website. http://biolitestove.com/campstove/camp-overview/how-it-works/#sub

Several woodstoves, including gasifiers, don't have low feeder holes. The wildgas stove I recently tested doesn't have any low feeder holes and lit from the top very successfully.

I hope the Biolite works very well, particularly the self-powering fan and recharging output, as I can see uses for that. I will feel more comfortable about buying one when they've been field-tested by the public for a while though......................

Stingray

Feb 25, 2009
Kent
Let me know if I should bother opening the box! 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I won't post anymore on it until you get your one :)

This was your thread after all and I'm looking forward to your review.
I think you're going to like it though !

Last edited:

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
I won't post anymore on it until you get your one :)

This was your thread after all and I'm looking forward to your review.
I think you're going to like it though !

I should see mine Monday as long as Canada Customs Nazis release it in time! Will be doing a review soon after! Everything I am seeing so far has been positive so I am hopeful!!

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Well it's here, and so far it lives up to the promises ! Warning to Canadian buyers, biolite shipped ups which in turned hit me with a $62.00 brokerage/tax fee! Bringing the cost to just over $200 with shipping.......I'm still happy and was prepared for it so no big deal!

So far here's what I think.

Easy to light
Super hot
Smoke free once it gets going
Long burn time on dry hardwood twigs
Hardly any ash (tablespoon on Two handfuls of twigs)
Cool to the touch side screen during long burn
Easy cleanup

I will do a boil test when I get a chance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Stingray

Feb 25, 2009
Kent
Don't you just love it on high fan and the flames turn into a rotating furnace :D
Get a move on with your review so I can join in :rolleyes:
One thing I find is that you have to keep it well fed.

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Don't you just love it on high fan and the flames turn into a rotating furnace :D
Get a move on with your review so I can join in :rolleyes:
One thing I find is that you have to keep it well fed.

The amount of heat this thing puts out is crazy! The day I fired it up, it was 30 degrees Celsius and I think I lost a few pounds from sweating next to it! I plan to do a proper video review with boil times on Sunday....I run a Bicycle Shop and as you can imagine this time of year is so busy! I'm averaging 70-80 hours a week and have very little time but I will make an effort on the weekend!

Stingray

Feb 25, 2009
Kent
Yes,there are two fan settings.I don't want to step on Captain's toes for the review but I'll add a few bits.Get the basic flame going and start the fan.Interesting things start to happen at the base of the stove.Once things are alight....hit the high fan :D whoosh.Then alternate between high and low,depending on how hot you want.USB appears to work very well,even continuing to charge when the stove was just ticking over.
Back over to Captain for his bit and then we'll compare photos and pros and cons :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE