Biofuels

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
my GCSE Physics textbook seems to like it.

(I flunked out at school; but now Im doing it. And this course is far nicer, being a lot of things you will see everyday)

And wind power.

But not nuclear

Hopeless

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
A couple of farmers on the Chatsworth Estate are growing Miscanthus to burn at Drax power station. The farmer reckoned he could get a fairer price per acre than wheat or oilseed.

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
The trouble with biofuels is that food producers turn over their land to producing biomass, ethanol and oilseed crops.
As peak oil, fuel embargoes, war upon and blockade of hydrocarbons supply routes occur, production of biofuels will become more attractive.
As we loose food production, our ability to contend with spikes in food prices will be severely hampered by commodity speculation and, perhaps, a little push from Mother Nature (witness the Russian drought this summer).
I personally think biofuels are a canard (not to mention CO2 production). Solar, geothermal, wind, hydro, wave and, scarily, nuclear are the only option open to us.
Happy trails...torc.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, but it helps solve the population problem.

Look at N korea, they dont have one now. (I dont think they are into biofuels but they did plant a lot of trees)

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Well, we're building more hydro up here: Go ahead for Kildermorie Hydro.

The main problem with expanding hydro is that pretty much all the really good locations have already been done.

Excellent news. What about the thousands of disused hydro sites around the UK though? Time was every place you could produce a few feet of had a few wheels on it. Okay so we're not talking large-city-level power levels but surely, with minimal alterations to the water-couses the National Grid could be given a helping hand.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I think most of the old mill-ponds have been drained and had houses built on them, and the rivers have largely been canalised (and had houses built next to them). But in terms of the actual amount of energy we use, the contribution would be minuscule anyway. Refit an old mill for hydro-power and you might be able to power one family house, if you're lucky and they're frugal. People simply don't appreciate the scale of the vast amounts of energy we use on a daily basis. Micro-hydro is better than micro-wind, right enough, but that's really not saying much... It's debatable whether you'd even hit energy payback over the lifetime of a typical installation, unless you do a Dick Strawbridge and build it all out of recycled parts.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
That's a fair point. I was thinking (for instance) of the various largely intact remains of Exeter's industrial past -- there's one deep and fast mill-leat extant that cuts through the south of the city with the head weir intact. In fact there's a mill on the leat with two wheels and the races and sluices just been restored for heritage reasons. AFAIK they aren't used to turn anything. There used to be several along this leat, and the area is full of largely in-tact races coming off tributries.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
All the more reason to get off the grid in my view. Whether it "pays back" or not, at least my lights will be on

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
All the more reason to get off the grid in my view. Whether it "pays back" or not, at least my lights will be on

Both of them? ;)

Seriously though mate, it's a great feeling to have power when nobody else does, even if it is only enough to run a could of low-energy bulbs and a radio... When I get the allotment shed rebuilt, I will definitely be installing a solar power system. :)

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Nuclear and hydro are hideously unfashionable. They're too practical.

Tell me about it, hydro is my line of work.
All the developing countries are buying into it, but over here we get twitchers and tree-huggers trying to stop fantastic projects like the Severn barrage and a government that favours the hideously inefficient wind farms, only quoting their theoretical maximum output and NOT the actual output to make them sound better.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've wired for it already - just can't afford the turbine right now - I do have a 2.5KvA Genny which I can run through an (isolated) domestic distribution panel to keep the lights, freezer and so forth working. Lincs is amazing for reliable and strong wind, so its the way to go here (plus its stronger when needed most - winter). I have messed about with a small PV set and it works okay - but I need bigger panels and battery array.

I can now heat and cook on solid fuel, I have private water and sewage. Just the leccy eludes me currently :(

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well, you might want to read the assessment of small-scale wind generators I linked in post #9... Long story short - you'll need a tall mast to really make it worthwhile.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We have a very strong wind here - our plan is for a mixed set = PV / 6kVA turbine on 30' mast. I'm lucky to have out buildings with South facing roof pitches and strong wind. I would prefer wood powered CHP but its not available yet here :(

I am keen to get off grid, so if you know a better technology with this as the aim (couldn't care less about its green credentials and don't have flowing water for hydro), speak up!

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
'Fraid not... Just be aware that the actual output of small wind turbines is frequently very, very disappointing. Ideally you'd have a year's worth of logged anemometer data from the proposed site (at the proposed height) before making a decision. Really, read the link in #9.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Mmm I've talked to a number of farms who use them with good effect round here. They say you need a good array and an ability to sell back excess. They don't make money - but their lights stay on :)

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
With the right turbine in the right place, it certainly can work fairly well. Wrong turbine or wrong place, and it's a waste of money. (Some in the test linked above didn't even generate enough juice to run their internal electronics...) Turbine design makes quite a difference, so if you've got neighbours who reckon they're getting a good result, find out what turbines they're using.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thanks for the comments guys.

The textbook (Ill quote when I get my own copy next week) is very lame on energy.

I will say, however, the biofuels seems to imply its all from waste (haha)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE