Bio-Ethanol stockists.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

amn1240

Apr 9, 2012
Hampshire
Anybody out there know of any large retailers that stock liquid bio-ethanol. Sure 'The Range' had it last year for use in small decorative garden burners, but they dont seem to have it this year. B&Q sell the garden burners but dont seem to sell the fuel. Ive found plenty of places online that sell it, but the postage on a 1 litre bottle is more than the cost of the bottle itself.

Im looking to try it in my trangia, since meths is 90-95% ethanol. Hoping it will be cleaner and less smelly, plus wont stain any gear in my pack if it leaks.

AMN.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Welcome to BCUK!

Anybody out there know of any large retailers that stock liquid bio-ethanol. Sure 'The Range' had it last year for use in small decorative garden burners...

Does it have to be BIO ethanol?

Im looking to try it in my trangia, since meths is 90-95% ethanol. Hoping it will be cleaner and less smelly, plus wont stain any gear in my pack if it leaks. ...

I think you'll find that all meths sold in the UK will be denatured and also have a dye in it. I buy it in France, it has no dye and I like the smell better. Around E1.60 per litre. I usually keep a couple of gallons in the shed.

I think Rick_uk3 buys methanol on eBay for some of his stoves, use a search engine (not the BCUK search) to find some of his posts.

Never used methanol in a stove myself, its energy density is even worse than ethanol.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Just a thought, but if you take a day-trip to France (Carrefour in Calais cite d'Europe shopping centre) then they sell alcohol for stoves - both the liquid and the gel) for much less than you can buy in the UK. This is clear and doesn't smell like meths does. We tend to bring back a goodly supply of both when we go there!

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Great minds, Ged!

ps - the gel is great for priming stoves - my 111 and British Army stove loves it, and makes a great primer for wood-fires too. Trouble s, wife also loves it for starting coal/wood fires in the house, so hence need to buy in bulk!

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Re methanol, to be honest I don't notice much difference n alcohol stoves. However, it is nasty, very poisonous stuff, so prefer predominantly ethanol fuels.

amn1240

Apr 9, 2012
Hampshire
Welcome to BCUK!

Does it have to be BIO ethanol?

Dosnt have to be BIO-ethanol, thats just what seems to be avalible in this country at the moment.

I think you'll find that all meths sold in the UK will be denatured and also have a dye in it. I buy it in France, it has no dye and I like the smell better. Around E1.60 per litre. I usually keep a couple of gallons in the shed.

Yeah, thats why i want to try the bio-ethanol. From what ive read on the web its dye and odor free. Did manage to get some Barrettine clear meths last year from Go Outdoors of all places (real clear meths not faded dye, even said clear on the label) Think Barrettine sent out a batch of industrial clear meths by mistake, you normaly need a licence to buy clear meths in this country.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
Re methanol, to be honest I don't notice much difference n alcohol stoves. However, it is nasty, very poisonous stuff, so prefer predominantly ethanol fuels.

True, it's much more poisonous than ethanol, but I don't remember anybody bothering to mention that 50 years ago when I was making glowplug fuel with it and yet I lived to tell the tale... :yikes:

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
My local d.i.y store sells both standard and clear meths, are they the same? I assumed the colour was just a safety thing like the smell thats added to gas. (Or is that just a myth?)

:confused:

ged

Jul 16, 2009

"Ethanol is a safe and environmentally friendly heating fuel. Made from plants, it does not release any new carbon dioxide (CO2) into the air, unlike fossil fuels. ...

No CO2 from packaging it, advertising it, transporting it, stocking it in the stores...?

"Use with the Stelton Fuego garden firelight (730 71232) available separately."

And a complete waste of fuel. What was that about the being friendly to the environment?

ged

Jul 16, 2009
My local d.i.y store sells both standard and clear meths, are they the same? I assumed the colour was just a safety thing like the smell thats added to gas. (Or is that just a myth?)

There might be some mealy-mouthed government lip-service to safety, but it's really all about taxes. Industrial alcohol etc. are denatured to stop people drinking it, because there's no duty on it and they don't want people drinking stuff that hasn't had duty paid on it. They put dye in it in the hope it would make it less palatable.

The regulations are more than a little bit complex:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2005/1524/regulation/4/made

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Might be worth trying a toy/ model shop, sounds strange but don't some of them radio controlled cars run of it? I may be wrong

RC Nitro would be a very poor choice as it contains around 10% 2-stroke oil (varies depending on the application), it's also anywhere up to 40% nitromethane, the rest of the mixture usually made up of methanol.

So it tends to burn very dirty.

I use Methanol in my car and it's very very nasty stuff, i really wouldn't want to be eating anything that's been anywhere near it.
You also need to be careful as it will burn as an invisible flame.

amn1240

Apr 9, 2012
Hampshire

:confused:

Its is a safety thing to stop people drinking it, apparently its was a big problem in the 1950's so i believe. According to what ive read on the web you need a licence to buy the undoctored clear stuff. The clear stuff is often refered to as industrial meths.

amn1240

Apr 9, 2012
Hampshire
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, just ordered a 1 litre bottle from John Lewis after discovering i can pick it up from my local Waitrose (must be the same people)

AMN.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
RC Nitro would be a very poor choice as it contains around 10% 2-stroke oil (varies depending on the application), it's also anywhere up to 40% nitromethane, the rest of the mixture usually made up of methanol.

So it tends to burn very dirty.

And, will blow your face off on ignition.... I've been racing/using it for 5 years.

I have also seen some go off spilled. Its like unleaded on ignition.

amn1240

Apr 9, 2012
Hampshire
Found some :) £5.99 for 1 litre, from Hambrooks Garden Centre.

Just tried and it seems to work perfectly. Only tried it in the kitchen so far but if anything it seems to work even better than dirty smelly purple meths.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE