binoculars or monoculars?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

binoculars or monoculars

• binoculars

Votes: 37 68.5%
  • monoculars

Votes: 17 31.5%

• Total voters
B

bushyboo

Just been wondering what people prefer.
I like monoculars simply because you can give other folk a shot without having to readjust the eye piece like you do with binoculars.
So what do you prefer to use ?

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I'm wrong eye dominant so I find that a monocular is easier to use. However I chop and change between the two depending on the landscape I'm in and have no real preference - the poll doesn't allow for this - sorry for being awkward :p

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Binos for me please. These fit in your shirtpocket.

swarovski1c.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Both for me too. I have a nice high quality tiny monocular that lives in my possibles pouch and is great for those "unexpected" things (the same as my small digital camera lives in my smock). I have spotting scopes and bins for when I plan to observe, same as my SLR for when I plan to take pictures.

Its a "horses for courses" thing

Red

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Binos for me, although I wouldn't mind a decent monocular, very handy things to have in your pocket.

Clark

Forager
Jul 18, 2007
Aberdeen
I carry my Monocular with me at all times but if i'm on a long trip i always take binos for a better view or my spotting scope.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
monocular for me. don't really use them that much but they're small and light so nice to have just in case

Jambo

Forager
Jul 21, 2007
U.K.
Bino's for me sometimes, used to carry a monocular a fair bit and prefer them in a lot of ways.

Problem was I found it virtually impossible to find a high quality monocular so ended up buying lightweight bino's instead when I eventually had some money to buy something decent.

Could any monocular fans out there tell me where to find a good quality one?

seamonkey

Forager
Sep 11, 2004
Scotland - Angus
had the same wee pair of el cheapo red lensed binos for years a friend brought them back as a present for me, never failed or fogged up however. Ace wee things for sticking a glass on a hill side or whatever

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
I prefer monoculars.. but then again, I almost never use my monocular either.. I carried one around everywhere but now I don't care to do it anymore.

garbo

Tenderfoot
Jul 16, 2006
uk
I wish I could find a real high end small monocular (like one leg of my leica bins )
I prefer a mono but a good small one seems a rare breed

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
For deer stalking or wildlife observation, when you are 'glassing' the terrain looking for wildlife, the binocular is the superior tool.
Often though, when out and about on foot, or when paddling, you spot something with the mark 1 eyeball, and just want a closer look. Monoculars are very good for this.

There are loads of cheap 8x20 or 10x25 roof prism monoculars around. They are certainly an improvement on the naked eye, but to be honest they are not very good. A friend of mine was using one, and I passed him my Russian KOMZ 8x30 porroprism monocular and he was astonished at the difference. Of course, the Russian model is significantly chunkier.

Opticron make roof prism monoculars that are a cut above the cheap end. Recent (post 1990) Zeiss roof prism monoculars are phase coated and excellent, but pricey.

As garbo implies, for seriously high end optics you are really looking at binos. I recently bought a pair of Zeiss 8x42 Victory FLs, which although dreadfully expensive are worth every penny, and I wish I'd bought them years earlier.

Having said that, around £150-£200 will buy a pair of multi-coated, phase coated, waterproof, nitrogen filled Japanese or Chinese roof prism binos that, most of the time, will give you maybe 90% of the performance for 25% of the cost. The trouble is that in low light conditions, the difference becomes rather more marked.

Jambo

Forager
Jul 21, 2007
U.K.
I had a cheapo monocular for a good few years, recently managed to get the cash together for something decent and had a good sniff around. Managed to find the Zeiss and Opticron ones on the net, almost went for the one of Opticron BGA models but ended up getting a decent pair of small Steiner 10x42's.

I love the Steiner's, but even though they're small I do end up leaving them behind sometimes. I'm pining for a decent monocular again now...

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
I carry this tiny monocular with me most of the time. Despite it's size, it's pretty good. When wildlife watching when weight isn't an issue, I use some old 8x42 Carl Zeiss binos which are excellent.
monocular.jpg

S

Sambo Rambo

those expensive peices of kit called
... gooogly eyes , or my leicia 8x42 (best birthday presi ever) or my swarofski spotting scope which is shiny :S

tecNik

Tenderfoot
Aug 31, 2006
Leicestershire, UK
deadfish.co.uk
This is a really hard poll :(. Its apples and oranges me thinks. I voted bins because that seems to be what I use the most at the moment as they are just on a shelf under a window on my boat. But if I was going out camping I'd take my mono simply because it quicker, easier and smaller to use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE