Binocular upgrade advise please!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Just Looking at buying a pair of opticron Oregon 8x42. Are these suitable for Birding and general Wildlife viewing? Paying £99.99

Or the opticron discovery 8x42 for £135

any thoughts guys?

I think that size and power is an excellent choice. They're not too heavy nor bulky, they'll give reasonable performance in poor light, and they can be held steady enough just in the hand (if you haven't been exerting yourself too much). I always have a cheap pair of 8x40 on the kitchen table for watching the bird feeders in the garden.

I've had three pairs of Opticron binoculars for between fifteen and twenty years (8X25, 7x50 waterproof with compass and 11x80), and although they can't really compete with expensive brands on image quality they've all been fine for the jobs they've needed to do for me.

If I were choosing between similarly priced binoculars of similar performance, other things being equal I'd go for the ones that would focus the closest. If I've one criticism of my 11x80s it's that they won't focus much closer than about ten metres. I bought them for star-gazing but I sometimes use them for viewing wildlife in very poor light, when nothing else short of the Yukon NVMT2 will see anything. The lack of a close focus is often a serious limitation.

I haven't kept up to date on pricing so I can't say what's a good price.

P

Passer

As with most things, you get what you pay for with Bino's.
Lots of good advice given here. the best is to try and compare before purchasing.
In general terms, 8x42's will be brighter than 10 x50, not to mention lighter. Something to consider if you will have them round your neck for long periods.
Something not mentioned to date is field of view, or how wide a view you get at a given distance. this is important if looking for moving targets.
Another consideration may be close focus, if studying insects, in particular flying insects, a must. With some Bino's it is possible to focus on your foot. This is a relatively new improvement which not all equipment incorporates.
There are other issues ie: fringing, chromatic aberration and field curvature, amongst others. these only become a issue when buying top of the range.
The time spent looking through many pairs of different manufacturers optics, in the outdoors WILL pay off. May even save you some cash.
Good luck.
Tony

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Bit left field but have you considered a Monocular?

The Docter 8x21 is a fantastic bit of kit for hiking, great optics, really clear, very very light and packs down very small.

8x21a.jpg

8x21b.jpg

Only downside is they're not really comfortable for viewing over a long time.

For binoculars i think Steiner Wildlife Pro 10.5x28 really take some beating for VFM.

z51301125.jpg

They're tough, waterproof, double hinged so pack down pretty small, are lightweight and offer a really good clear image.
Sure if you compare side by side with say the Leica Ultravid Binoculars, the Leica's give a slightly clearer and better defined image, but from my eyes at least it's only slightly better and certainly not twice as good, even though the Leica's are twice the price.

Cheers
Mark

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I have both Leicas (large) and Swarovskis (compact). Those are purchases I never regreted. If you spend a lot of time using binos, they are worth the investment, imo. Not only are you getting great optics, they hold up well over time. My Leica's are 15 years old and still function like new and never fail to delight me when I look through them.

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
Check out some of the Meopta range. Very high quality,good rep for reliability and good light gathering capabilities :) Oh, and did I mention that they're a fraction of Leica/Zeiss/Swaro prices..........

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Check out some of the Meopta range. Very high quality,good rep for reliability and good light gathering capabilities :) Oh, and did I mention that they're a fraction of Leica/Zeiss/Swaro prices..........

Unless i misread the OP this fella has got a budget of c£150

If you can find me any Meopta binos for that price (new or 2nd hand) please send me a PM and i will buy them immediately :rolleyes:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Bought my dad a pair of Opticron porro prism bins for his birthday on recommendation, I was gutted when I realised they were better than my Steiner roof prisms. If you dont absolutely need roof prisms, then consider porros, you get more binocular for your money.

porro-roof.gif

Porro prisms are easier to make with less glass inside so you generally get a better binocular for your cash (at the lower end of the market, the difference is less significant if you are spending £1500). They are less compact though. But if wehat you want is low light bins, then you need a big objective lens, so size may not be much of an issue. If you are after good low light bins, big objective lens and a budget of £150, then look seriously at the Opticron porro range.

Look here, 7x50's for £159...
http://www.firstlightoptics.com/porroprism/opticron-imagic-tga-wp-porro-prism.html

To get a better image than you will see in these, you will have to spend a lot more money and the roof prism version will cost twice as much for the same image quality.

Last edited:

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
Unless i misread the OP this fella has got a budget of c£150

If you can find me any Meopta binos for that price (new or 2nd hand) please send me a PM and i will buy them immediately :rolleyes:

Second hand will get a quite decent pair of Meoptas though, a pair that was £300+ pounds new can easily be had for £150 from a reputable dealer with a guarantee - they are out there :)

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
I though I would update this thread......

Well, uncharacteristically I did not rush into anything but carried on looking what was about - not like me, I'm not very patient! I also realised that thanks to my lack of work these that I best not spend too much (and I do have other hobby priority cash allocations!) So, long story short I have just bought some Hawke Frontier ED 8 x 43 for £239 delivered.

I never stopped looking and whilst 240 squids is still a chunk of money, I could not find a bad word wrote about them. I think you get what you pay for generally but these seem to have created quite a stir in the optics market.

I will comment further on them when they arrive and I am most looking forwards to them arriving!

Thanks for the feedback folks!

Marc

lovatscout

Dec 19, 2011
Huddersfield
for my money i would have gone that few quid more and bought leopold tacticals
10x50's great molle case tactical retical in left lense ideal for rangefinding distance measuring map scouting
i went to york guns for a pair of swaros for deer stalking but spoke to the leopold rep and got a pair of taqcticals for 299
there on offer at sportmans gun centre lifetime warranty just as good as swaros in my humble opinion
but if youve put your money down fair doos

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
I though I would update this thread......

Well, uncharacteristically I did not rush into anything but carried on looking what was about - not like me, I'm not very patient! I also realised that thanks to my lack of work these that I best not spend too much (and I do have other hobby priority cash allocations!) So, long story short I have just bought some Hawke Frontier ED 8 x 43 for £239 delivered.

I never stopped looking and whilst 240 squids is still a chunk of money, I could not find a bad word wrote about them. I think you get what you pay for generally but these seem to have created quite a stir in the optics market.

I will comment further on them when they arrive and I am most looking forwards to them arriving!

Thanks for the feedback folks!

Marc

My daughter has a pair of those and I have used them a couple of times (with a critical eye) and they perform to a much higher standard than their price would indicate. A very good choice on your part, you won't be disappointed. :)

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
A few months in now and I 100% recommend them!

Used regularly for wildlife viewing and for archery and the performance is superb.......even in low light. Just got back from B.C. and spent a good amount of time watching the beasties with them of all sizes, distances and times of the day and they are just immense!

If anything they are a little big and heavy for a "I'll take these along just in case...." kind of thing but they are what they are and will be no different in that sense than any other bins in this size bracket.

Whilst in Canada Mrs B bought some quality bushnell 8 x 36's and I am now thinking that a similar size of bins would be useful and if I do get some it will be the Hawke's no doubt!

Are my mates Swarovskis better? yea, but £2000 better? no way!

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
If anything they are a little big and heavy

Thanks for the update and glad that your pleased with your binos,my Swaros are a bit (a lot!) on the heavy side so i bought a 'Bino-buddy' harness and what a difference,the binos are held against your chest and the straps go over your shoulders so you don't feel any weight whatsoever but the binos are immediately accessible,great product,various brands out there but Uncle Mikes is a good one available from www.vikingarms.co.uk .........highly recommended, no conn/links etc.

320ccc

Jan 25, 2012
USA
if you are seeing a crisp defined image with the bushnells just try a set of 7 or 8 power glasses. the difference in light xmssn should be significant.

i switched to nikon monarch atb's (8x42) for the money they are remarkable lenses.

i bought my wife a pair of swift audubons (8.5x45) several years ago. heavy but great glasses even in low light.

the pickiest binocular users are birders. browsing their forums will give you a quick overview of the current favorites.

it's absolutely true that you get what you pay for, but how much you pay isn't the criterion that should drive your purchase.

don't buy a pair of glasses without testing them in the environment you will use them in.
your binoculars must complement YOUR vision and YOUR intended usage.
there are so many variables at play that you can't take someoneelse's opinion.
their opinion is a good departure point but you will know what works when you see it.

i have a very old pair of japanese glasses that are still very usable and they are over sixty years old.
the glasses i carry for backup are a small pair of nikons that cost less than 100usd.
the glasses at my desk are a pair pentax binoculars, 10x and clear after twilight and before dusk, that were cheaper than that.

i've used zeiss glasses that i drooled over because they were zeiss glasses, but i couldn't see any better with them than with my nikons.

if you take your time and actually wring them out before you buy them you'll eventually find what works for you.

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Hi

Have a look at some Russian Komz on fleabay if you get the chance, I bought a sit of Komz 8x30 and the crispness of the image is superb, I was told that the Russians removed the Zeiss tooling after the war (much like the Millard brothers did with Diana airguns- spoils of war apparently)and high quality of Russian bins are the result!!

Ruskiebins1.jpg

Ruskiebins2.jpg

Ruskiebins4.jpg

I actually bought them from the bootsale for a tenner!!!

I bought a pair of Zeiss Jena from fleabay yesterday, they didn't sell at the opening bid (£40) so I offered £25, the ladt accepted so I went and bought them :cool:
1ZeissJenna.jpg

The lady gave me a freebie set of 8x21 compacts too which are nice and crisp (the wife has an identical set in all but name!)..
1Piccollo.jpg

Both are cased..
1ZeissJennaPiccollo.jpg

According to the serial on the Jenas, they were produced in 1976/77 before the lenses were multi coated apparently, dunno if this is a good point or bad, the bins are stamped DDR..

Cheers, John :)

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
Hi

Have a look at some Russian Komz on fleabay if you get the chance, I bought a sit of Komz 8x30 and the crispness of the image is superb, I was told that the Russians removed the Zeiss tooling after the war (much like the Millard brothers did with Diana airguns- spoils of war apparently)and high quality of Russian bins are the result!!

Ruskiebins1.jpg

Ruskiebins2.jpg

Ruskiebins4.jpg

I actually bought them from the bootsale for a tenner!!!

I bought a pair of Zeiss Jena from fleabay yesterday, they didn't sell at the opening bid (£40) so I offered £25, the ladt accepted so I went and bought them :cool:
1ZeissJenna.jpg

The lady gave me a freebie set of 8x21 compacts too which are nice and crisp (the wife has an identical set in all but name!)..
1Piccollo.jpg

Both are cased..
1ZeissJennaPiccollo.jpg

According to the serial on the Jenas, they were produced in 1976/77 before the lenses were multi coated apparently, dunno if this is a good point or bad, the bins are stamped DDR..

After WW2 the Zeiss factory was stuck with having one plant in East Germany and one plant on West Germany. What then happened was that, as you rightly say, the Soviets naturally ordered a lot of their bins from Zeiss in the east. The optical quality was superb for the time, and remained so really until the reunifiaction of Germany when Zeiss became one company again. Most of the significant moves forward in optical quality came after reunification (the lens coatings got developed and improved dramatically).

Pre-coating Zeiss Jena's are a good model and are also prior to the era of being gas filled, which means they can be stripped for internal cleaning without professional gas refilling (they do tend to get a mild fungus inside which can sometimes be seen on the objective (large) lens. Stripping them is not a job for the faint-hearted as they have extremely precise tolerances and can easily be reassembled missaligned spoiling them totally. A very good buy at the price :)

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
After WW2 the Zeiss factory was stuck with having one plant in East Germany and one plant on West Germany. What then happened was that, as you rightly say, the Soviets naturally ordered a lot of their bins from Zeiss in the east. The optical quality was superb for the time, and remained so really until the reunifiaction of Germany when Zeiss became one company again. Most of the significant moves forward in optical quality came after reunification (the lens coatings got developed and improved dramatically).

Pre-coating Zeiss Jena's are a good model and are also prior to the era of being gas filled, which means they can be stripped for internal cleaning without professional gas refilling (they do tend to get a mild fungus inside which can sometimes be seen on the objective (large) lens. Stripping them is not a job for the faint-hearted as they have extremely precise tolerances and can easily be reassembled missaligned spoiling them totally. A very good buy at the price :)

WOW!!

Thanks for the info Manacles :cool:

I bought another pair of bins a couple of weeks ago that are fantastic !!!!

Nikon Monarch 8x42 waterproof..

NikonMonarchOcular.jpg

NikonMonarchtop.jpg

I paid £20 from an elderly chap and the clarity is phnominal though at first I kept seeing black blotches :(
After I looked at the manual I realised that the eye pieces need a twist, this gives the correct eye relief :eek:

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE