Binocular upgrade advise please!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Hi All,

I have been thinking for a while about upgrading my Bins which are currently Bushnell H20 10x42's which are perfectly adequate but I have found them lacking for certain applications, mainly in low light situations (went out with a mate a while ago with a mate who has some top-end bins watching badgers and I was actually amazed with the difference!)

I do not have Lieca/ziess etc money to spend but I use them frequently whilst out and about, nature watching, being generally nosey and alot for archery so I think I can just about justify better ones!

I am thinking 8x42's, certainly waterproof & tough and as compact as possible.

Thanks in advance

Marc

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You're thinking along the right lines. For better low light performance you either need to reduce the magnification or increase the size of the objective lens. I have Bushnell 10x50.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Have a look at these http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_8&products_id=107163, dont let the cheap price put you off, i bought some of these, a pair of 12x50's and at the time some 8x40's (which they dont seem to do anymore:(), they are incredible bits of kit, rubberised, coated lenses, they were/are so good, i went back and bought extra pairs of 8x40's and another pair of 12x50's, just to put in the cupboard for later, the 10x50's are as good as my £100.00+ Bushnells for general use and the 8x40's are perfect for a day out

treelore

Nomad
Jan 4, 2008
Northamptonshire
hate to say it but you pay for what you get when it comes to glass.... i would save your pennys and get some of the top range Bins, think of it as an investment and they will last a life time. I`ve been told this time and time again, It`s like buying a rifle, you can buy a really great one but at the end of the day it`s only as good as the glass on it. You can pick up top of the range second hand bins for good prices in gun shops and in the adds at the back of a lot of shooting mags. hope this helps.

all the best

treelore

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
The Bushnell H2Os are fairly good in that they are nitrogen filled, use the better BAK4 prisms, and have multi layer coatings. However they do not have coatings on every gas/glass interface and do not have phase correction coatings. And of course 10x42 will be a touch dimmer than 8x42, and harder to hold unsupported, so you lose resolution through hand shake.

So to upgrade you need phase coating, and fully multi coated optics. About £100-£250 will get you a Japanese or Chinese 8x42 that has this, eg Helios AM6.

The big three (Leica, swarovski, Zeiss) are expensive new. You could buy used, but older models may not have phase coating. Zeiss make it easy as if it is marked TP* it hase both phase coating and multi-coating on all interfaces.

You might consider Meopta, Docter, Steiner or high end Nikon.

Or possibly used Zeiss Jena 10x50 porro binos (Porro do not need phase coating) but you would need the later 'multi-coated' model, and to check the collimation.

I use Zeiss 8x42 FLs which are excellent but you are looking at a four figure sum if bought new.

I get the impression from your post you are likely to use them a lot, and I would be tempted to save for something like used Zeiss Dialyt TP* 7x42 or 8x42 - a lot of stalkers use these. They are waterproof in normal use though won't stand immersion.

Have a good look at this website for lots of info on higher end used binos:
http://www.holgermerlitz.de/

Last edited:

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I have had a brief look through the high end phase corrected Hawke binos and I was impressed - the image is very bright, with much of the 'wow factor' you get from Zeiss, Swaro etc. The styling is similar to Swarovski.

The only downside is brand snobbery - because Hawke also make cheaper binoculars you may find the resale value is less if you ever upgrade again.

The game fairs and optical shops are good places to try a few head to head.

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
I've a couple of pairs of Steiner bins - the Wildlife & Sky Hawk. Very good for a mid price range IMO. Roof prism & all that.......

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Another vote for Opticron. I have a pair of 11x80 and in low light the difference between them and my 10x50 is light the difference between night and day! Not very compact though, so not the right model for the OP. Just saying that you have to try really hard to do better with a smaller objective lens, as has been said already, and that can be expensive. A friend of my wife's brought her husband round to look at a plumbing job and he brought his Swarovskis. Only 8x42 or something like that as I remember but my goodness they were impressive! The clarity was exceptional.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
I am very lucky to have been in the right place at the right time and bought a pair of Swarovski 10X50 SLC'S.
They are absolutely stunning,particularly at critical times for stalking at dawn and dusk.
Easy to say,but as already mentioned,spend as much as you can afford on your upgrade and you may never have to buy another pair of binoculars again.

Yorkshire

Nov 2, 2010
Newcastle
Just Looking at buying a pair of opticron Oregon 8x42. Are these suitable for Birding and general Wildlife viewing? Paying £99.99

Or the opticron discovery 8x42 for £135

any thoughts guys?

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Just Looking at buying a pair of opticron Oregon 8x42. Are these suitable for Birding and general Wildlife viewing? Paying £99.99

any thoughts guys?

Either are fine binoculars.
There was a pair of the Oregons for sale on British Blades the other day,might still be available.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE

any thoughts guys?

Have you actually looked through them both or are you buying online?
Try and go to a big optics dealer and have a good look at a few different pairs within your price range rather than taking somebody elses opinion if you can.
A lot of the time a £35 price difference can mean a big leap in quality,try also to find out where they were actually manufactured.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Have a look at the MINOX BV range,they do a nice 8X42 and are coming up at about £169 online but you could probably get them cheaper with a bit more searching, better proposition than the Opticrons IMO and stretching your budget by another £35 will pay dividends.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Have a look at kenko. Iv got some 10 by32 and there awsome i tried all the brands nikon etc and for me these were by far the best although everyones eyes are diferent some i couldnt get on with at all so id definately say try before u buy mate

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE