Billy Cans

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
I've just been watching Ray's Wild Food series and noticed him using a nesting set of pots with loop handles. Does anyone know what make these are and where they can be obtained?

I think someone on here recently said that Ray was using the Coleman Outfitter range of billys in one programme. Here's a link (can't find a UK site for them):

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0004314514872a.shtml

Here's another alternative - Tatonka Billy (the 1.6L version is my favorite for 1-2 people and is the one I reach for first - despite owning all of the Zebras - wider base, locking handles and a decent size frying pan/ plate/ lid - all do it for me!):

http://www.proadventure.co.uk/acatalog/Pots_and_Pans.html

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
I think it might be the tatonka. The bail looks the same but I didn't see a handle for the lid. Has anyone got a picture of one with the lid on?

I think it might be the tatonka. The bail looks the same but I didn't see a handle for the lid. Has anyone got a picture of one with the lid on?

Second that idea of Ray using the Tatonka. Even in older series before he switched to Zebra billies iirc (like Tracks).

Have been looking for them and went with the aluminium ones when I couldn't find them (quick enough)... Alu works for me so far and is a lot lighter.

Grtz Johan

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ach - get some s/s coffee cans/bickie tins/cutlery drainer and make your own!
Ceaper, a good first DIY project and a lot more satisfying to use in the long run!

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
Ach - get some s/s coffee cans/bickie tins/cutlery drainer and make your own!
Ceaper, a good first DIY project and a lot more satisfying to use in the long run!

Good idea John, I've done this before with a tea tin from Wilkinsons. These Billy's that Ray uses are quite wide though and I've never seen anything similar that I could convert. Beside which I just like the look of them and was curious. Thanks for your help folks.
Heath

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Still waiting on an answer form an overseas store on a source of good cheap billys, just gotta find out what the postage is and see if it is viable.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Still waiting on an answer form an overseas store on a source of good cheap billys, just gotta find out what the postage is and see if it is viable.

That the Olicamp ones? Did try to locate their website, but seems they dont have one, (or I'm failing to find it). Would like to see their entire range of products

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I just stuck it into a search engine, they seem to be easy to find in the US, but hell to find here in UK. Price wise, one billy will come under the 18 quid so will be exempt import duty, but the postage is what is gonna yay or nay the deal.

Well considering I have been saving up for a while to get me a set of Tatonka billies, its al changed now...

Thanks for the heads up guys, I've been out today & got the SunnFlair 'Big Pan Set' from GO Outdoors £28. They're really good, stainless steel with copper bases to improve heat conduction / distribution.

The largest is about 26cm in diameter & 11cm tall (capacity
The medium is about 19cm in diameter & 9.5cm tall (capacity
The small is about 13.5cm in diameter & 6.5cm tall (capacity

They all come with bails that lock in the upright position and the small & medium lids both have D rings on (the large lid doesn't as it doubles as a frying pan). They also come with a couple of detachable 'trangia style' handles (large & small).

I also got an Outwell camp kettle from Black's for about a tenner. Approx 17cm in diameter & 7cm tall (kettle body), quoted capacity 1.2 litres.

I've subsequently found that the Outwell kettle neatly nests inside the medium Sunnflair billy, which makes a nice base-camp set inside the largest Sunnflair billy & lid / frying pan.

What's even better is that the small Sunnflair billy sort of nests inside my Zebra 14cm - albeit making it a little taller. So now I've got a bit more choice when going lightweight / walking as well as a great base camp set.

The largest Sunnflair billy lid is just the right size for doing a nice bannock on, and I'm not sure, but if I can depress the base a little when used upturned as a lid, it may well double up with the billy to make a dutch oven with the ability to put some embers on top (although it won't get close to the abilities of my cast iron dutch oven - just an awful lot lighter).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE