Billy cans from SMA baby milk tins?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
I have lots of large SMA baby food cans with plastic lids, would these be suitable to make billy cans from ?

Obviously the lids will melt if exposed to heat could these be replaced with some wooden ones (again these will burn but wont melt)

Thanks

Andy

B

bushyboo

Hi Robbo
ive used they tins before as billycans and just used some tinfoil or the foil from the throw away turkey roasting trays, they trays work better coz they are thicker
hope it helps

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
In theory they should be ok, however the steel on SMA tins is thin and they are pressed steel, so maybe not watertight.
As well as being painted, some food grade tins are coated with some sort of lacquer on the inside and so heating them eg warming beans in the tin has been suggested as unwise and possibly toxic, has anyone heard anything like this??

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
think i would avoid using these unless in a real emergency as they will rust and degrade fast i also think some tins have a plasticised coating on them which may be affected by heat. they do of course make great storage tins tho

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
anthonyyy said:
Whatever about their uses as billy cans they you can use them with the 1 pint Kelly Kettle to make a small hobo stove.

http://72.36.134.230/community/showthread.php?p=180100#post180100

I made a hobo stove from a milk tin, but not like the one in the thread.
Basically four square "U" shaped holes about 3cm high were cut in the sides around the bottom of the rim. The metal was bent upwards making a platform inside. Holes are then punched in sides to let air in. Now this where money has to spent to make complete, a whole 79p :eek: for wilko sink drainer. This is put on the platform on the inside to form a grate, and Taa taa a hobo stove :D

The best part is that you load with dry kindling put the plastic lid on go for walk and you have a near instant brew. We have used the same tin for at least twenty goes and it hasn't expired yet, but we haven't burned it for more than one hour at a go. The main fuel that has been used has been gorse. My kids love using it as the fire is small enough that they feel in control of it.

I will post a piccy later. (no bluetooth on this computer :( )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE