Billy can issue

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
Evening all,

Recently I fried up spam and onion on the smaller dish of the zebra billy can, unfortunately I was using a gas stove and had an area of nuclear hot burnt scoff in the centre. Does anyone know how to dissipate the heat evenly when using a gas stove?

Cheers,

Ollie

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
What sort of gas stove are you using, some of the 'Pocket Rocket' type clones are more like blowtorches than a cooking appliance...

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
I fried spam at the other day, yip the gas was low heat shield helped there.

As for cleaning hot soapy stuff with a fair amount of elbow grease.

MSR is a good wee blowtorch though:camping:

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I read somewhere that to clean really burnt on stuff from a pan, you can put it in the garden for a few days and let the slugs get at it

Do an image search for slug teeth and you'll see why

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
When frying just keep the pot continously moving over the flame, don't leave it stationary on the stove but hold it over the flame and keep it moving in a circular motion by hand giving it a little shake.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I read somewhere that to clean really burnt on stuff from a pan, you can put it in the garden for a few days and let the slugs get at it

Do an image search for slug teeth and you'll see why

That was put forward on Radio 4's Gardeners Question Time a few months ago - made the audience cringe but it works.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
slow cooking with a low heat works for me with any pan. To clean burned on mess i put a dishwasher tablet in the pan, poor on boiling water and leave for 24 hours. falls off

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
As copper_head says, it's your fire that's the problem, change it out for a meths burner and not only will you get an even spread of heat, you'll also be using a 'greener' fuel.

I've been a big fan of hexi in the past, I currently have some firedragon military cooking fuel on pre-order as it is supposedly renewable and non-toxic?

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
At the moot I cooked pancakes over the pocket rocket. It was fine with a) plenty of butter and b) really low flame. The pan I was using was a very cheap pan - bought as part of a Tesco camp kit for about £1.50 in their sale. The RRP would have been £5-7

Generally I have a titanium 'kettle' which I boil ration packs in. That's pretty much all I use it for (and obviously tea/coffee) normally.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
As copper_head says, it's your fire that's the problem, change it out for a meths burner and not only will you get an even spread of heat, you'll also be using a 'greener' fuel.

I've been a big fan of hexi in the past, I currently have some firedragon military cooking fuel on pre-order as it is supposedly renewable and non-toxic?

Takes much longer, I'm impatient - also a can of gas generally lasts me well over a week whereas a meths burner is much less efficient fuel weight for fuel weight.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Takes much longer, I'm impatient - also a can of gas generally lasts me well over a week whereas a meths burner is much less efficient fuel weight for fuel weight.

Yeah fair one Tim (great name BTW!) but any efficient burner (petrol/paraffin/gas) will really kick out some heat, which isn't a good thing if he's trying to lightly fry his dainty wee slices of spam.

Something that is quite an art is finding a pot that is compatible with your choice of fire. I have the trangia stoves in size 25 and 27, which I use with frying pans, zebra billies and a dutchie, I can fry, boil or bake anything using that combo.

If I'm tripping with my oppo and his firebox, I'll just take a Jetboil to keep him adequately beveraged between curries, so I suppose it also largely depends on what your menu looks like?

One thing that always strikes me when tripping is when I see the hardened professional outdoor types (mountain men, soldiers, river guides, etc) and they use a battered old frying pan and kettle with an equally battered old hexi or twig burner, i.e. cheap, nothing fancy and can be used to cook whatever is available in that environment!

Tim

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Stainless Steel will always be the worst possible conductor of heat - Ali is much better but as usual the trade-off is strength and durability. I went to a decent high-st cookshop and bought the smallest de Buyer Blue Steel
frying pan and cut the handle off, just use a pot gripper, and I've never had a moment's trouble.

If you can easily do it and you don't mind the weight, then braze some copper to the bottom as you say and you'll have even dispersal of the heat.........................atb mac

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE