Billy Bail Arm

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I want to attach a bail arm to a billy can.
However, I don't want to leave two holes in the side of the can, I want to attach the arm hooks permanently. But. I don't know what's best to do this. Whatever I use will be in the 'cooking area' of the billy can. For example, do I bolt or rivet the bail arm attachments? Are rivet heads safe? Are they made of anything dodgy that I don't want to get in my food or water. Same with bolts.
Does that make sense?
What have others done?
Any advice (and especially pictures!) gratefully appreciated.

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
One option which I am going to try with a new project is to fix a large metal band like a hose clip, the sort used to fix stuff to lampost etc around the billie then attach the bail to it. No drilling etc needed.

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
Hi durulz

I recently did this with a biscuit tin and rivets. I wasn't worried about the rivets as I usually use aluminium cooking kit anyway with no effects to my health.

The loops are picture hooks from a local hardware store and the wire is pike trace wire from my fishing kit.

Pics attached

SDC10537.jpg

SDC10538.jpg

SDC10539.jpg

SDC10540.jpg

I've got to get round to doing something about the rivets sticking out into the pot as much as they do, but that's for another day.

Hope this helps

Phill

pwb

This is how I put a handle on a Morrisons pot, like Wild Thing I used picture hanging rings .

DSC01550Small.jpg

Then I used the single hole version, two less holes to drill :rolleyes: :) .

DSC02099Small.jpg

I just used aluminium pop rivets and left the head on the inside and used a file to smooth of the surplus rivet outside.

DSC02101Small.jpg

Here's a link to how Hoodoo put a bail on a billy using aluminium from a darning needle :D :

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14939

Also check out Warthog1981's handy work :) :

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=472441&postcount=1

As far as being safe , I'm sure that aluminium or stainless stainless steel is OK.

Cheers , Pete.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Cheers guys - all advice appreciated.
I've done it now. I went with a variation on Globetrotter's idea. Rather than using a jubilee clip I used some wire from a coat-hanger which clips around the back. This means I can unclip it when I don't need the bail arm. I then used a couple of picture hooks that thread on to the wire.
Perfect solution.
Cheers to you all for the inspiration and ideas.
A problem solved!

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
Ive made up a fair few billy in the past used to use aluminium pop rivets which work fine but check them every once and a while as they sometimes slacken off a little with use.
You can peen the ends a little to tidy them up and it seals the rivet well to.

I now tend to use small stainless steel pop rivets or small stainless steel bolts and peen the ends after ive tightened them :cool:

Have fun Russ :D

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I've used tiny stainless steel machine screws, bolts and washers to attach plastic coated spring clips for tool storage, they work very well and would support a bail/pot weight easily.

They wear well too, the one's I fixed 22 years ago still look new, despite having been outdoors and in very damp environments.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE