billhook sheath

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
not sure if this is the right section or not, please move it if not.

i'm in the proccess of renovating a billhook for SWMBT and i'm looking for ideas for a sheath. i'll be having the sheath made by a member on here but not really sure what i'm wanting, anyone got any pictures of their billhook sheaths to inspire me?

thanks in advance

stuart

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Funny that Stu, I'm just in the process of making one. It's based upon a design I saw on eBay, but instead of being entirely riveted, mine will be stitched. If you look for billhook sheath on eBay you'll see the one I'm on about. It's specifically for a S & J Kitchen Billhook, but I guess you can modify the design to suit. I can spare you some hide if you fancy having a go yourself?

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Funny that Stu, I'm just in the process of making one. It's based upon a design I saw on eBay, but instead of being entirely riveted, mine will be stitched. If you look for billhook sheath on eBay you'll see the one I'm on about. It's specifically for a S & J Kitchen Billhook, but I guess you can modify the design to suit. I can spare you some hide if you fancy having a go yourself?

cheers for that mate, i'll have a chat with you about it at the weekend

stuart

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
thanks for that dave, nice looking sheaths. i'm starting to get a few ideas in my head now, still not sure what to do but getting there

stuart

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
all i use is a length of old thick wall hose pipe with a split down one edge, this goes over the cutting edge of my billhook and is secured in place with three pieces of cordage, top, middle & bottom.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
all i use is a length of old thick wall hose pipe with a split down one edge, this goes over the cutting edge of my billhook and is secured in place with three pieces of cordage, top, middle & bottom.

i've used the same thing for axes in the past, it's a good easy solution. she wants something a bit prettier though, and recognisably hers as she'll be using it at college and tools get "mixed up" and put away in the wrong place if it's not very clear who they belong to.

stuart

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
thanks for all the input folks. i think i've decided to have a bash at making this myself, the only thing that was putting me off was the fact that i don't have a tool for setting press-studs but SWMBT has informed me that she doesn't like press-studs so that's no longer an issue. i like the belt buckle strap on the top one of british red's so think i'll go with that idea, a loop on the back to fit a karabiner, and something along the lines of the pancake style that seems to be pretty much the norm for these. all i need to decide now is whether to sew it or use copper nails and washers (pretend saddler's rivets)

cheers

stuart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE