Bill Hook Sheath - advice needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

farmershort

Feb 16, 2010
leicestershire
Hi All,

I'm a big fan of having my bill hook on my when I'm out and about, but i'm getting fed up of all the ruined coat pockets!

Has anyone ever made a sheath for a staffordshire type billhook? That's the type with a standard curved blade, but then with an addition straight cutting edge raised up off the back of the main blade.

I'd be very interested to see your designs/plans...

It's worth mentioning that this would also be my very first attempt at leather working, so all advice welcomed. At the moment, all I have is the need for a sheath, and bugger all knowledge on how to achieve it.

Thanks

Adam

hi there, heres my sheath

for the back blade i slip on a cheep kitchen knife protector.

sorry just to add, this is 3 bits of leatehr, a large back bit that includes the flap, a shaped bit to go against the blade edge and the front bit, all stuck together and drilles then sewn.

draw around the blade and cut the leather for that. there are peeps on here much better than i so i would wait for one of them or do a search for sheath tutorial

Dave

Last edited:

farmershort

Feb 16, 2010
leicestershire
Bill, thanks for that! Mine is slightly different, but the same design sheath may still be ok... he's a pic of one similar to mine:

5224550a.eps_large.jpg

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Can't post pictures, but I made a sheath for one like the single handed one illustrated.
I made the fold of the leather fit doune the short square edge of the blade and fastened
the curve at the bottom with rivets. I fastened the inside curve with large pop studs
fro0m a haberdashery shop, they were about £1 each, and the side just opens up to let the curved blade out. It looks kind of Spanish as the pop studs are patterned and look kind of like coins. Just an alternative idea.

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
The leather ones look great but you can make them from wood too, it would be a drop in affair, just a box, and should be plenty robust enough.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I don't think kydex is expensive
In the UK, however, it can be a little difficult to find. Sometimes someone on BB sells it and occasionally here too.
I forget how much I paid for it but I do know I didn't think it was too much
It's easy to work, I heated it under the grill in the kitchen (when SWMBO was out) and used an old kip mat as padding to mold the kydex. You will find the kip mat will melt if it touches the hot kydex so some insulation is needed there.

Kydex solved many of the problems I had when thinking of a leather cover.
I didn't want to belt carry this as it's always in a bag so belt loop isn't needed. One thing I did think of last weekend when I was walking around trying to find some hazle walking sticks is a couple of holes and a piece of string would be good to hang off the shoulder(for the one handed bill ofcourse!)
The sprung tension of plastic keeps the bill nicely in place even without any sort of strap etc

Good stuff IMO even though these are very poorly made compared to my leather crafting they work which is what I was after. I mean the Newton was clothed in an old t-shirt for 5 years before I made these!

Cheers

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE