Bike Joring - any takers?

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
In light of the few cycling threads in the transport section and dog threads in this section I thought I'd ask if anyone goes bikejoring?

In case you're curious, it's riding with a dog attached safely to your bike and the associated competitive sport relating to it.

Apparently it's a sport that is even done here in the UK. I spoke to a pet shop owner who does it and he's into the racing side too.

At its basic level it's an attachment that holds the dog on a lead at a safe distance away from your wheels. It's usually a bar with a spring to which an adjustable lead is attached. It can be attached to the side or out front of the bike. The dog can also be on a long lead pulling you (the competition side).

If you Google it you'll get pictures of huskies pulling cyclists along but also a range of large dogs such as collies and vizlas. However if you look deeper into it you'll see people using the kit to take their dogs for a run. I've heard of everything from miniature schnauzers up to lurcher and large hounds. Even a border terrier. They're usually just people into cycling who want to take their dog with them.(like us).

Anyone into it or think it sounds fun? You could combine it with bike packing I guess to get the link in with Bushcraft I suppose.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
The point of the kit is they can't get into the wheels and with your pedals spinning round they tend not to want to go near them. The spring takes out the worst of any sudden sideways movement after something else. If it's attached to your seatpost then you don't get a turning action from the lunge to the side by the dog. If it's out front attached to the handlebars you can get a steering effect I believe but you'll be into it before you switch to them and your dog is likely to be trained up in it.

Never seen or tried it myself. The guy I spoke to rated it. Everything I've read from ppl online trying it out for the first time they all said the dog got the idea straight away and it was fun.

I often see ppl walking huskies in a group on morecambe front wearing canicross leads. The odd one with two dogs attached. They're all, how can I put it politely, overweight owners who look out if condition. They also all walk with their weight being used to hold the dog back. There seems to be a lot of husky owners round here who it could be argued have the wrong breed of dog. But that's another pet rant of mine , ppl buying dogs on looks not on suitability for their lifestyle. I used to think nothing of 20 to 30 mile day walks in the Lakes but even then wouldn't have thought a husky would suit me. They're working dogs not pets. Anyway, I'll get off my pet hate and back on topic.

We're a cycling family and since getting dog we haven't really done much cycling. So we started looking for ways to bring the dog with us on cycling trips (including tours). The box on the bars or rack was looked into (and later bought) but it brought up a lot of bikejoring kit. I think when our puppy gets a bit older (say 1 to 2 years at least) we might try the kit out. Off road only. Fortunately our dog isn't a big breed (border terrier). Bred to run with horse and hound so should be a good running dog with bikejoring kit, but small enough to just fit the 7kg weight limit of dog carriers.

If anyone has tried it I'd be very interested in your opinions / advice.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Interesting. None of the people I have seen with it have any guard to stop the dog being run over if they go the wrong way.

My concern is also the sudden stop from smells or toilet trips that we have with canicross. It's just part of it but on a bike I would be quite wary. There's also other folk to take into account.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
The canicross group I'm in, there are people that also take there's out pulling a scooter and some while they're on roller blades / skates.

Personally the one I want to do is sort the dog out with going on my SUP. Want a bit warmer weather for trialling it though!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Years ago when I had my Husky I used to go out with him and my bike regularly, he'd run next to me or when I'd had enough he'd run out front and pull me along and we had a great time. These days with my Maremma, he's more likely to drag me back home, he dawdles along at 2 miles an hour not a care in the world, you can't even run with him without having to constantly pulling him along. But, he keeps the bears and wolves away so all's good :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE