Big Square Army Mess Tin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
This caught my eye in Endicotts today. £12.95 for supergrade. £9.50 for good grade 1. I thought I'd try it out as a robust alternative to some of the tatonkas and zebras I use for group use. At a good few pounds cheaper and more robust I thought it worth a trial and Kevin has kindly loaned me this one to test. As you know I am upfront about whether I have bought or been loaned items when I test them.

It did seem a bit tippy when empty was my immediate thoughts when I picked it up. Hence my first question to Kev. He said that Bikething had been in the other day and bought one. I believe he has posted on the BCUK about it already and talks about stability.

http://www.endicotts.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=2173

Here are some pictures (below). Compared to 4 litre tatonka and 16 cm Zebra.

I hung it under a tripod and also from a wooden pothanger. I then cooked a meal with it (seered tuna steaks and boiled new potatoes) on a honey/hive upgrade that is used for group use.

These are my initial thoughts - further testing is required and I will update this review accordingly.

Pros

• more robust gauge steel especially when compared to tatonka. Its about the same volume. Bigger than the 16cm Zebra.
  • convenient frying pan handle pre attached and of decent length
  • 'wire' bail arm makes for hanging easier, especially with a wooden pothanger.
  • easier to pour from as you can use one of the corners as a spout.
  • the Tatonka is about £25 (inc P&P) for a 4-litre verson and the Zebra (16cm) about £19.50 (inc P&P) which is a bit smaller than either of the others
Cons

• not stable when hung by the bail arm as either of the other pans. Caution maybe needed not to pour into it too fast. I poured water into at a normal rate to simulate normal usage and so I could see the result. I have not yet thrown water in to test its behaviour when the unusual happens. The pan is untested just with solids in it - I used water and potatoes.
  • Needs further testing as to its stability as I am now not convinced its suitable for hanging from its bail arm without some DIY stabilisation. The zebra is deeper so has a lower centre of gravity and the tatonka has a lockable bail arm which stabilises it. This certainly does not render it unusable by any means. I suspect just more vigilance/care may be required.
  • frying pan does do a significant bit of warping (see last piccie), which I find is more common with square pans - but this dissappears totally when the pan is cool again.
  • slightly matt outside does make it more challenging to clean the soot off - if that is your inclination.

5-3.jpg
1-5.jpg

6.jpg

3-2.jpg
2-5.jpg

9.jpg
7.jpg

b.jpg

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Very good pans, designed originally for army No2 stoves and they fit the new No12's. They are unstable hanging off the bale so what I did was use a wire coat hanger to make a second half bale (if that makes sense) and this 'locks' the pan (I'll try and find a picture)

There you go

DSCF3599.jpg

Cheap as chips for a pan that size and you can use them as an oven due to the thickness of the material used.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've looked at these a few times in Johnsons in Leeds, I think they're probably a bit big for my needs but that's a lot of steel for a good price. Do you think they'd chop up well for a firebox ?

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I've looked at these a few times in Johnsons in Leeds, I think they're probably a bit big for my needs but that's a lot of steel for a good price. Do you think they'd chop up well for a firebox ?

now that's an idea aswell. yes I think they might. make a wood burner out of it. hmmmm. nice

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Yep. Now I have tested it well I can confirm that without a modification it is unstable when used from the bail arm. Having emptied some hot daal over my feet I can vouch for the need.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE