big spoons

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I am currently working on an order for replica woodware for an English Heritage project at Dover Great Tower. I have lots of designs for 12th century wooden bowls both for the kitchens and Kings quarters but spoons were a bit more difficult.

Here are the few pics I have managed to find and the first spoons I have been making.

IMG_7936.jpg

IMG_7934.jpg

IMG_7937.jpg

These spoons don't look as big as they are, they are just over 50cm long and hold a bit over 1/4 pint.

IMG_7933.jpg

I rough them out with the axe (a nice little old axe I posted pics of re-handling here a while ago) then hollow with a small curved adze and refine the form with a straight woodcarving knife (modified polar 95 blade) and home made long handled hook knife. I particularly liked the decoration on the handle, very quick and easy, a good design unashamedly stolen from a medieval spooncarver.

Time Team are filming a lot of the project so you may seem them sometime next series.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Those are the best spoons I've seen you do robin:You_Rock_ , the ornamented one is simply fantastic. They have like a 3D woodcut feel to them, Durer could of made one just like that. They smell medaieval. They are a lot looser and freer and the carved ornament is a lot less fussy than on some of your other one's. Brilliant, just brilliant. Did you use alder to make them? I'm glad you stole his idea, you made it real for us to see 500 year's later:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE