big mussels in the pub

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushtank

Nomad
Jan 9, 2007
king lynn
went to my local and had a big row about checking live mussels before cooking
i have always stuck to this law on shell fish if you get some mussels that are open give them a tap if they close up they are good and live my mate "pigeon" is saying i am totally wrong and that if you tap them they should open i know he is totally wrong so i am just WAITING FOR HIM TO DIE OF SHELLFISH POISONING am i wrong i dont think so :beerchug:

waylander

May 9, 2006
Co.Durham - Consett
You know a nice friend would educate him, as far asI know the best way to learn something is by making mistakes so make him moules marinere that he has checked to make sure their 'alive'. :lmao: Hmm I can be really nasty if I want to be lol

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
You will certainly win this argument Thomas

May be the 2 of you should have a game of 'Russian Mussel Roulette' just for sheer comedy value....!

He will SO regret it!!!!!

j :lmao:

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Yup they definitely close when tapped and it's pretty obvious why when you think about it. It is a defensive response as the mussel thinks that something might be trying to eat it so it clamps shut. I have this hilarious image in my head of someone tapping on a closed mussel shell and a little voice coming from within "Who is it?" :lmao:

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I can't get over how stupid some people are, and then how arrogant they can be about it. I collect fungi for a hobby, if I wasn't prepared to admit that I can make mistakes and have knowlegde gaps, I would be dead. Modern life cushions people who can't admit they are wrong from a early death.

I have stood in kitchen with someone who was holding a satans bolete insisting it was edible because it didn't make thier lips tingle when rubbed on it. She had to cook and then said it tasted bitter. :banghead:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE