Big Burl!

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
I have been given a huge Burl, I think it is oak (will find out next time I see the guy). Apart from spoons bowls and Kuksa's is there any other suggestions people have of what I could do with it?

It is roughly 16" x 12" on the cut side and 7" tall.

I have cut a bit off one end to make a spoon but not sure whether to make loads of small bits or one big bowl!

so far I lost the end of the spoon handle as there was a bit of bark in the middle. I am worried if I do a big bowl the same thing might happen.

but nothing ventured nothing gained, right?

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Stick it on the bay of evil:lmao:

You could make a whole matching dining set from it, Kuksa ,bowl and eating spoons even an eggcup for the breakfast boilies, you might even squeeze a napkin ring out too!
One big bowl wastes a lot of wood unless you are adept at turning those nested bowls..... another dark art like tuning propellers.
Make the most of what you have in hand is my way of thinking though mate.

Rob.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
My general rule-of-thumb is that a bowl represents about 10% of the block (weight) that you start with.

Based solely on experience, carving burl is a really serious personality flaw. Did it just the once.
Carving clamped to the bench, I was on my knees on the floor, carving upwards with mallet and gouge.
"What the Hello am I doing down here?"
Started #2 = 48" western red cedar. Rough-out with adzes went well.
Not more than 5 gouge cuts and I quit.

It's about 18" long by maybe 2" thick. I kept at it since I could see the whale in the wood.
Copper mineral Bornite for the eye, quartz inlay on the front fin.

Picture022_zpsc5ddd392.jpg

so the shape came along easily.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
My general rule-of-thumb is that a bowl represents about 10% of the block (weight) that you start with.

Based solely on experience, carving burl is a really serious personality flaw. Did it just the once.
Carving clamped to the bench, I was on my knees on the floor, carving upwards with mallet and gouge.
"What the Hello am I doing down here?"
Started #2 = 48" western red cedar. Rough-out with adzes went well.
Not more than 5 gouge cuts and I quit.

It's about 18" long by maybe 2" thick. I kept at it since I could see the whale in the wood.
Copper mineral Bornite for the eye, quartz inlay on the front fin.

Picture022_zpsc5ddd392.jpg

so the shape came along easily.

You are an artist. That is wonderful.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
It is definitely different to carving grained wood. I will take all your advise on the wastage making a bowl and do a load of smaller bits. im not sure how old it is but seems to feel wet when cut.

I went from having a wood drought last week to three rings of spalted birch, two rings of cherry, this huge burl and hopefully some walnut on the way!

too much wood and not enough time :(

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Apart from the end result to viewers of your work, what is the fascination of Burls?

Its nasty to cut with a bowsaw, horrible to chop with a Hatchet and even worse to carve! and it smells odd!! All my work is done by hand, no machines no pollution no damage to the environment.... That's how I started and that's how I want to continue.

I have always told people "its the journey not the destination" but I want to get off this bus, I don't like this one anymore!

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
Apart from the end result to viewers of your work, what is the fascination of Burls?

How about "all the others are doing it, I have to go with the flow"?

When I made my first "trekopp" (kuksa) a few weeks ago I used dried, dense pine. No cracks, nice colours and it works with both spirits and coffee - recommended!

Last edited:

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Burls are attractive they make you want to hold, nay, caress an object wrought from such fine figure of nature, the veneers from burl are sometimes oddly scary or angelic see here but mostly just a wonder of nature. Nothing worthwhile is completely easy so burls are just bit harder to work so you appreciate the end results all the more.
Don't give up mate, feel the force, the nature, the beauty.... and stop whining, most of us would love to lay hands on some free burls :lmao:

Rob.

Last edited:

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
How about "all the others are doing it, I have to go with the flow"?

When I made my first "trekopp" (kuksa) a few weeks ago I used dried, dense pine. No cracks, nice colours and it works with both spirits and coffee - recommended!

I dont think I will do it again!

Burls are attractive they make you want to hold, nay, caress an object wrought from such fine figure of nature, the veneers from burl are sometimes oddly scary or angelic see here but mostly just a wonder of nature. Nothing worthwhile is completely easy so burls are just bit harder to work so you appreciate the end results all the more.
Don't give up mate, feel the force, the nature, the beauty.... and stop whining, most of us would love to lay hands on some free burls :lmao:

Rob.

LOL you sound like my missus!

If you want a "slice" I will post you a bit if you cover the postage charge?

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thankyou Harvestman. I was offered that 50+yr old 2" slab of western red cedar. On the bench, I was caressing the wood surface when I saw the whale.
10 seconds with a green crayon and I was ready to go. That's how I carve what I carve. My Grandmother predicted that I would carve like this. So be it.
If you could stand far off to the right with strong light coming from the left, you would see water sheeting down off the whale's back.

I mentioned a 48" WRC carving that I have abandoned. Still disappointed but I might have replacement wood.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE