Bidayuh Bukok "Parang"

Harry The Camper

Tenderfoot
Sep 22, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
www.yahoo.com
During a recent trip in Sarawak, I was fortunate enough to have the chance to buy a local parang. The main blade is called Bukok while the sheath is called Sibong. Here is mine
IMG_0011.jpg
IMG_0010.jpg
IMG_0012.jpg
IMG_0013.jpg

The design is ment to keep the users hands away from what he is cutting whereas the slight extension before the curve is for putting your thumb on for more control. The owner, Mr. Sagen got it razor sharp with river stones before I purchased it. Performed very well so far, good weight on the end so I can chop down on things easily.

The half-sheath is designed to aid cleaning the insides so it does not jam up like how some full sheathed parangs do over time or lack of cleaning before putting it back into the sheath.

For more insights and interesting article's check out bandel4's site:http://www.my-rainforest-adventures...g-tools-in-semban-sarawak-part-v-1/#more-1617
There is a picture of Mr.Sagen holding my parang.

Enjoy.

Harry The Camper

Tenderfoot
Sep 22, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
www.yahoo.com
it seems we have a lot in common..... we should talk....

I agree!!! Would love to meet up sometime. I have relatives in the UK, where do you live?

If you ever comeby this part of the world do drop us a line!

chopping things??

Tested it out by harvesting some macaranga yesterday. really swift! I was told this one is designed without a point as its more of a walkabout/harvesting/clearing foliage blade rather than a hunter.JC baged a beautiful jungle/hunting one made with a circular saw blade!

Was talking to a local who had 9 parangs hanging on his wall. I was told "kalau spring betul-betul tajam, kepala senang potong lah!"

"If the blade made from a leafspring is really sharp, getting a head of is easy peasy!"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE