Biblical Firestick?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ivan

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2008
Southern California, USA
Hi all,
I'm new here so please forgive my ignorance. I saw you previously had a thread, Biblical Fire, and would like to continue that and add a bit I've learned about the matter. In our English Bible [Exodus chapter 3] and the Hebrew Bible there is something that is missing but which can be found in the Quran [28:29], When he had fulfilled his obligation, he traveled with his family (towards Egypt). He saw from the slope of Mount Sinai a fire. He said to his family, "Stay here. I have seen a fire. Maybe I can bring to you news, or a portion of the fire to warm you."
In the Quran it's clear Moses went up the mountain to get fire, from the Burning Bush. Here is a bit on Moses' fire drill: http://books.google.com/books?id=I...ng Bush was Moses' firestick plant of choice?

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Interesting - so potentially t the 'Burning' in burning bush suggests its properties, rather than the fact it was burning at the time?

I like that. Makes a lot of sense!

climberslacker

Forager
Jan 14, 2008
USA
Im taking religioun at school and we were just reading exodus and the story of the burning bush, mabye I should bring it up in class!!

Ivan

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2008
Southern California, USA
Thanks for all the encouragement. Here is a bit more. It seems to me lightning struck Moses' firestick plant, the Burning Bush, and provided him with fire direct from heaven. See Exodus 19:16 --"thunder and lightning, and a thick cloud upon the mount". Exodus 19:18 --"the Lord descended upon it in fire". Moses apparently took an ember from this devine fire and kept it ever burning on the altar which was carried around within the ark; See Exodus 13:21 --"the Lord went before them to lead them as a pillar of fire". There are examples of other cultures that consider such fire kindled by lighting as especially lucky. There is also an example in which the wood of such a tree so struck by lightning is believed to have special powers, and is used to make fire drills. Look up the old plant name *thunder besom* and you will see what I mean. I've got to try a firestick made of mistletoe wood whenever I can get some. Oak did not work for me at all.

The link I gave may have changed or it does not work from here. Try googling the keywords "boxthorn fire drill" and then click on cached for "The Children of Israel - Google Books Result by Tabari, William M. Brinner - 1991 - History". I'll try writing it again:
http://books.google.com/books?id=I2...ts=hUUjVZBZF8&sig=OZMz7LeeJvU7pMymtMmh3oXfyCA

Pang

Forager
Sep 8, 2007
london
interesting, when it comes to religion though i'm a literalist. Metaphorical meaninsg lead to many differing interpratations.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE