Betula Utilis - Himalayan White Birch, Bark

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Just spotted a good few of these in the gardens in work peeling like a lepper!

I've never tried before but I wonder if the bark can be treated as tinder in the same way as for other variants of the Birch family that we are more familiar with where use of bark as tinder is concerned, such as Silver Birch for example.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Just spotted a good few of these in the gardens in work peeling like a lepper!

I've never tried before but I wonder if the bark can be treated as tinder in the same way as for other variants of the Birch family that we are more familiar with where use of bark as tinder is concerned, such as Silver Birch for example.

Yep, it goes up as though it's doused in diesel - if you try burning a piece keep your fingers clear :)

I've got a few in the garden and it sheds the thin bark on its own in the wind. They're also beautiful ornamental trees IMO :)

Ah that's excellent.

Yes, that's how it caught my eye. I'd never noticed them before, until a piece of bark just sailed past my face. Just googled them and apparently the bark used to be used as paper too.

There are loads here, so I now have a fairly endless supply. And where I work they are very amenable, I'll check of course but I'm sure they wont mind if I help myself to some sheets :)

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Interesting, not listed anywhere here even though it probably would grow. Another Betula papyrifera.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Interesting, not listed anywhere here even though it probably would grow. Another Betula papyrifera.

It's even 'whiter' than Betula papyrifera - it's not a native of the UK; it's an ornamental; there'll probably be some in Finland somewhere.

It's the birch you see in all those lovely birch forests in the Chinese films like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
At least one garden seems to sell it but I have never seen one not even in the Uni botanical garden. Have to start looking.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE