best way to hang my hammock?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

webbie

Forager
Jan 1, 1970
scotland
i have just posted this in the hammock group buy section but i thought it might be better to get a wider range of responses from here.

so i have recently recieved my hammock from magikelly and find it is long enough to hang between certain distances but not others so to get the best use out of my hammock, what do you find is the best way to hang your hammocks, and where did you purchase it from

also are bungee cords good enough to use to support my tarp?

webbie

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
The thread bikething posted is a great place to start - especially the carabiner tip - will save you from a soaking if you find yourself out in heavy rain. It's hard to go wrong with a hammock (though not imposible), best thing to do is cover the basics and adapt to suit your own needs.

Bungees will do, but I feel happier with a ridgeline - paracord is enough for this. See here for a few good tips ...

http://www.outdooridiots.com/features/200606/pitchingatarp/pitchingatarp4.asp

statikpunk

Apr 18, 2007
nevada, U.S.A.
*I have a Hennessy Hammock and I am very happy with it because I don't have to fuss and muss with separate mosquito netting and tarp, but one thing i did was replace the system for hanging it .
it used to have ropes attached to the hammock that you would attach to tree huggers with a carabiner, but I took off the rope and replaced it with nylon straps, (it gets rid of some extra stuff and weight and hanging it is super simple, I attached it to the hammock and hang it on trees the same way that risk does on his website ( www.imrisk.com ) the "improved 4 wrap knot" it works very well, and I'm not sure if he mentions it or not, but to keep water from running down the straps, i just tie off the excess strap close to the hammock, it works good enough, but then again we also don't get much rain here in the high desert of northern Nevada, US, so maybe in an area with more rain you might want to come up with something more protective.

webbie

Forager
Jan 1, 1970
scotland
HTML:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LYON-18MM-SEWN-SLING-120CM-ARBORIST-CLIMBING_W0QQitemZ140225693001QQihZ004QQcategoryZ50816QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

would these be any good for hanging a hammock?

webbie

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Sometimes the Hennessy straps just aren't long enough (looking at the girth of the pine from which the hammock is suspended).
hugger.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE