Best tool

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

harry

BCUK Test Account
Jun 18, 2003
UK
Does anyone know if I am I best using an axe or a saw to cut off a branch? The saw is neater but I can often go through in one swing with the axe, which is also neat.

J

Jamie

Hi Harry,

Well, it really depends on the size of the branch which determines what you should use (lets face it, the least amount of work is surely the best?!)

Also, you should take into account the damage that can be done to the tree in the first place. If you use the back and forth action of a saw, it leaves a lot of serrated edges on the wood leaving it open for infections while an axe leaves a very smooth surface which seals a lot more quickly.

Another tool that can be used and is often as effective as an axe is the billhook..a much less bulky and portable tool.

Hope that helps.

Jamie

J

Jamie

Batten down the hatches.....I feel a billhook diatribe acoming!!!! :roll:

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Well, Billhooks what can I say............loads, but I am now offended, so I am going to go home and sulk!

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
i read the whole billhook V axe thread in the hope that it would explain what a billhook was. i didn't want to ask at that point incase i got a telling off from jack for been sooooooooooo foolish.

J

Jamie

A wise course of action Andy.....Jack is quite attached to some of his billhooks, as are some of the people that tried to tell him they werent up for much...to his face. Not saying that he's a nutter.......but..........

:yikes:

Kukriman

Feb 15, 2004
USA,somewhere in the middle
I have used both bill hook and axe. I have to favor the axe...it seems the most versatile.

But then you get into looking at those situations ...and make a good argument.

What can you do with a khukuri that you cannot with a billhook?

The kuk is a bit easier when dressing game..but it can be done with the hook.

ONe thing about the bill...nice to have an extra pair of hands...know what I mean?

If I had to choose bewteen the three...the kuk hands down...especially if I get one of them little tool kits with all the goodies!

Chop On!
kukriman

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
I do like the feel of a Kurk, but there isn't that much call for dressing big game of self defence :shock: here in the UK, thats why the bill hook is more popular (if it is :-?).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE