Best Survival Schools and Courses

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Personally I haven't been on any courses run by professionals, but I have had some great free weekends with friends and joint knowledge.

I'm not in disagreement with you, but I'd like to be the 'tenth man' for a second.

I've done courses and meets, so I can see the value and merits of each.

Most (all) of those who are disregarding courses have never done one, how can their advice carry the same validity?

IMO it is important to do both courses and meets, there is a social side to both and learning value from both.

But let's not confuse 'cost' with 'value' and 'validity'

;)

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
The schools versus meets debate is partially answered by the way in which you learn. Seeing someone performing a task at a meet and then trying to replicate it is one approach but it can be quite frustrating as the person demonstrating makes it look all too easy and, of course, they're not on hand to give you some guidance as they would be on a course. Learning and then practising off Ray Mears's DVDs does fall into that category to a certain degree, the advantage being you can actually replay it any number of times - something you can't with a demo.. However, a school can give you a few basic skills on which you can build.

I've heard great things about Woodsmoke, which is relatively local to you but you might find some value in travelling farther afield. The skills remain pretty much the same but the environment is different. To that end, Bushcraft Expeditions run very good courses as does John Rhyder at Woodcraft School; the former is in the south-west, the latter in the woods of West Sussex.

That said, since you'll be practising your skills closer to home, going to local meets will be a real boon as you'll meet like-minded folk in your area, many of whom will be happy to share their experience with you.

Whatever you do, have fun!

Broomstickize

Forager
Jul 28, 2011
Suffolk, UK
I have been on a Woodsmoke course and although a lot of money, is incredible value.

I have also been to a couple of meets, so I can see the progress and friends you can make there.

Both approaches are good. It will come down to what speed you want to pick up skills at... my approach was to get a base of knowledge quickly with a week course but now I'll be gaining and contributing from/to people at meets.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I haven't been on a "course" per-see but it doesn't mean I haven't been on similar "Training" activities with instructors .

I wouldn't completely dis-regard higher level courses, but the lower end of skills can be much more interesting when learning from a meet perspective.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
As one of the rare breed of full time Bushcraft instructors i am bound to say going on a course is the best option. Firstly people like me have invested huge of amounts to time and money learning our craft and are constantly seeking to improve our knowledge and improve our teaching skills.

You can learn any skill if you have infinite time and and infinite number of lives. Cutting your femoral artery is great experiential learning for the next the person that discovers you. Bit extreme I know but what learning from a professional gives you is an accelerated learning curve. You're able to ask questions of people who not only have lots of hands on experience but have the ability to explain their skills in a variety of ways so no matter your learning style you will gain new insights into the art of Bushcraft. There are many talented people that frequent this and other forums. We all learn from one another and cannot be the masters of every area of bushcraft related skills the subject is too broad.
I suggest you go to a few meets meet some people decide what areas you wish to focus on and then contact a large number of schools. Ask questions and get to know the instructors that way you will find the school that you can build a good rapport with and thus you will get more for your time and money.

There are several good schools up north with some fine instructors. There are also one or two quality schools down south as well.

The important thing is to seek knowledge. There is no right or wrong way to do bushcraft as long as it works for you and is safe.

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Going to a meet with a few folk who are good at a 'skill' or two will give more time to learn the 'skill', you wont move on to the next skill too soon etc to cram in the course. I doubt you will get 1:1 on a course, unless you are paying for it !
'Courses' are setup to run a set of skills in a set time limit and can't cater for all course members needs, if they say they are, well....

The best way would be to pay an 'expert' for 1:1 coaching but that would cost a mint.:lmao:

If you go to a meet you will see a variety of setups and tool uses, you can then go away and tweak those to match your own needs. I say all that having not been on a Bushcraft course !

rg598

Native
If you are seriously considering classes, I would save them for later, when you know enough to determine what you actually don't know and need to learn.

The reality is that this is not brain surgery. The basics of bushcraft and woodsmanship are things that every boy scout learns by age 7, and that just about anyone can pic up after a few weeks fumbling around in the woods. Millions upon millions of people have successfully gone into the woods without taking a single course. In fact, until the last few years, there was no such thing at all. The basics of bushcraft are simple, and you can learn them quickly without spending your money.

After you know what you are doing just from common sense and experience, you will be better able to determine if there are any higher level skills that you need, but have a hard time mastering on your own. For example, I have taken ice climbing classes. That is after many years of going into the woods.

Perhaps.
myself ive taken courses. Learnt from them most definitely.
I had a base level of knowledge in the theoretical side of things and in the application.
Going on courses reiterated the base level I had.
it also added stuff I originally had no interest in-cordage for example.
Having a very competent instructing team also meant I could ask questions directly and apply them rather than muddling through.

its not the only way to learn but its a very good way I feel.
it also depends on the best way an individual learns. Everyone learns differently.
some from reading it some from doing it some from seeing it demonstrated in front of them

I've been fortunate to attended courses with forest knights, woodlore, woodsmoke and frontier bushcraft.
I would heartily recommend any of the above.

I've also attended meets and whilst learnt from the folks there I'd argue I havent learnt as much at meets as I have on the courses

Why do you think that is Sam? Do you think it's down to the nature of meets or something else?

Yup.
meets for myself (all three that I've attended :)) are more social so it's much more chatting and putting names to faces than learning per se.
when I go out on my own I'll practice skills more (so if I blunder no one else has t suffer the consequences)

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Yup.
meets for myself (all three that I've attended :)) are more social so it's much more chatting and putting names to faces than learning per se.
when I go out on my own I'll practice skills more (so if I blunder no one else has t suffer the consequences)

Thanks for that mate, I was just wondering what your thoughts were on the subject :)

No worries.

For me the structure of a course is also beneficial . otherwise I ca flit from skill to skill without focus resulting in a knowledge base a mile wide and four inches high.
I tend to get distracted with the social side on meets be they big organised ones through the forum or a small gathering in my own woods

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have not been on a course, I dont see the point, all I know now has been self taught or shown to me by friends. I have experienced people that have done courses, whilst they are taught the basics of many things over a week once the course is over there is no one to be a guiding hand and the simplest things get over looked.
I would consider a more specific course in a particular subject but not a general one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE