Best stove for BOB

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I was thinking of hexi, hobo and maybe something more sphisticated...a gas stove maybe?

There are none of those US multi fuel stoves on sale at the moment...a pity.

I think the hobo wins because you can add a meths burner to it really easily. Which gives you the best of both worlds.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Whilst canoeing on the Tay last weekend we were brewing up on the bank and the Pocket Rocket owner boiled the kettle for the Trangia owner because we wanted to get back on the river and you could measure his boil time with a calendar.

Depends how cold and whether you insulate the gas canister from the ground etc.

Scoops

Gas stoves with a 'remote' canister give best performance as you can turn the canister upside down to increase the flow of cold gas, this stove will fit the bill and not break the band, works well on liquid fuel and gas, and you can invert the can

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Camping-Stove...photoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

If your on a budget I would stick to a Trangia meths stoves 100% reliable and will work in the cold, after all, 000's of Scandinavians use them in temperatures much colder than the UK

If you have a few quid to spare get a Primus Omnifuel or Optimus Nova, both of which you can mount in a Trangia (as you can the cheap stove I linked). You can't limit a BOB stove to just wood, it will be easier to use a liquid fuel stove in an emergency

500ml of paraffin will give you hours of controllable heat (a few days worth for sure), how many hexi blocks do you need to do that and give you simmer power as well as full on heat? If you have good pans, like the civvie Trangia, you can use them over a fire as an when the opportunity arises

I like the Hobo stoves, Wayland is the master there, but if you need a cooking kit at short notice they will limit you

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
“What stove for a bug out bag”

Looking back its not a straightforward question. If you KNOW where you are going, then fine, if its well stocked woodland, take a small woodburner; but think again, if you have to leave home in a hurry and not sure where you will end up, you will need kit that will work anywhere regardless of local conditions.

Simple and reliable would mean the Trangia setup for those who don’t feel confident using liquid fuel stoves (although, they are not hard to use or maintain); on a personal level, I would not rely on a gas stove, simply because of poor cold weather performance, and the ability to get fuel for it in an emergency. Again, on a personal level, my stove of choice would be a pukka Trangia and an Omnifuel, the reason for picking the Omnifuel over the Nova is that it can use gas canisters, so although I won’t take a gas only stove, the Omnifuel opens up fuel options and as said in an earlier reply, the civvies Trangia pans can be used over an open fire.

The Swedish Army ‘Trangia’s’ I would not pick, this is just a personal opinion, for whilst the pans are open fire friendly, the burner is slower that the civvies version and the pans are a little small for me, and the conversion options of using a real stove on them is very limited. Than said, I need to buy a Tatonka burner off Lurch for a review/comparison test; but the limitations of the pan sizes would still rule this out for me in all likelihood.

I don’t have a bug out bag as such, but I do keep a Bergen ready to pick up and go for an overnighter

Hex3 and nest insert
Highlander self inflating mat
Sleeping bag (to match season)
Cheap head torch
Lots of the Deals Extreme 25p button lights clipped onto all sorts
1X24 hour rat pack
Spare pants, socks, waterproof trousers, Jacket,
Army water bottle and the dreaded Crusader mug
Trangia 27/Nova stove
2 and 4 pint Bulldog billy cans
Mora knife and Laplander
K&M match safe
Fire starter kit
Wash kit and scouring pad
Extra tea and biscuits/choc bars
Small FAK
10 litre roll up water carrier and Millbank Bag

The bltt I wear has a mobile phone (Nokia 6310i + spare battery) and a leatherman

Change my clothes and footwear and away I go.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
But not exactly fast, and how do you refill them? You could take a can of Sterno I guess;)

Though I believe the Swiss Army Notkocher 71 is small enough to fit in the Swiss Army Volcano Stove, whereas a can of Sterno is just a little too wide.

Alcohol gel can be bought in large tins and spooned into the Notkocher so yes could be refilled, as you say it'll probably be a lot slower than most of the other types but hey a few minutes really probably won't make to much difference unless your in an Escape and Evade mode, which is very unlikely over here.

As a knock up a brew, soup, noddles or hot water for dehydrated meal I still think the SAVS is hard to beat ( especially as I've now made the mutifuel burner fit into it ) for the cost, there's a Group Buy currently going on for them. I've just checked and the Trangia civie / Tatonka burners will fit in them. The technique to do so I used was to fill burner pick up by finger & thumb around the screww thread, insert middle finger of the other hand through the SAVS fuel hole and strectch up into centre, lower the burner onto finger and down to base of stove. If you have particularly large hands this might not be too easy, if you've small hands you may be able to place it in the bittom just using the 1 hand.

I guess the real question, as you have said previously, is what Tengu wants forn her BoB stove and her budget. I'm presuming lowish budget, not take up much space and a basic hot water boiler. If it's more for general uplanned camping night out, as yours seems to be, then yeah a cheap Trangia clone would possibly be the way to go, with the ability to add a few bits to it afterward ( eg multifuel burner ) If it's a bit off both that would also seem to be the way to go as the SAVS is a little limited in what and how much you can cook with it.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
But not exactly fast, and how do you refill them? You could take a can of Sterno I guess;)

You can buy tubes of ethanol gel from the same place, your right they're not very fast but really practical cos of there size. Just a preference, I had a refillable gas stove once aswell, little tiny thing that was handy for a quick grab and go, dont know what happened to that, it was absolutely crap anyway lol.

N

nordboen

I'm looking for a tiny stove suitable for all terrain and situation. Hobo stoves are the best way to go (in my opinion). That will become my BOB equipment definatly. I try to find material that won't let me down even in a long time situation, the hobo stove never lets you down - never!

That's the best I found so far:
- outreq WK15 http://www.outreq.de/html/kocher.html (German Website)
its weight is only 470g (1.04 lbs) and you NEVER have to carry fuel

There was an other hobo stove, made of titanium, on the market. I would love to purchase that one but can't find it. There is a private group in Germany working on something similar. The weight is about 300g (0.66 lbs)!!! and it folds up to the size of a postcard.

Pictures of the original can be seen here:
http://forum.outdoorseiten.net/showthread.php?t=24315

IF YOU KNOW WHERE SOMETHING LIKE THAT IS AWAILABLE, SEND A MESSAGE!!!

Best regards,

nordboen

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
Hi Norboen,

Weclome to the forum. If you are wanting a hobo stove why not have a go at making one.

lit.JPG

Scoops

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
There was an other hobo stove, made of titanium, on the market. I would love to purchase that one but can't find it.

Sounds like the Four Dogs Titanium BushCooker http://www.fourdog.com/cat_files/Page281.htm

or the titanim version of the Caldera Cone the TI-Tri might be another option you might like
http://www.traildesigns.com/products01.html

Personally I'm waiting the extra 2(?) weeks or so till we get to find out more about Podcastbob's Honey Stove before even thinking about another stove.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=452095#post452095

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
The army hexistove can't be beaten for 72 hrs. Fuel lites easily, smokeless, no searching for dry fuel.

SOLIDFUELSTOVEGELERT.jpg

We used the SAVS yesterday, great stove. Luckily there was plenty of dry bracken and birch about as the twigs were damp. It's tiny and very light with water bottle and mug built in.

Nick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE