Best place to buy thread for leather work ?

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
evening all,

looking to buy some more thread for leather work, it's a mine field out there ! anyone got some links i can look at for threads they use please.

cheers

Robbi

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I'd say any decent 18/3 linen for 3-3.5mm leather. The 18/3 linen thread from LePrevo is good, and a good price, provided it's part of a bigger order (once VAT and postage overhead are added). A 50g reel will last you for a long time (unless you are sewing up sword scabbards all day long!).

Geoff

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
I'd say any decent 18/3 linen for 3-3.5mm leather. The 18/3 linen thread from LePrevo is good, and a good price, provided it's part of a bigger order (once VAT and postage overhead are added). A 50g reel will last you for a long time (unless you are sewing up sword scabbards all day long!).

Geoff
Geoff is right, that's what you want to get mate, I use something different now, but have used that for a long time, and it's a great thread.
take care.
happy sewing.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Yeah i saddle stitch with this stuff no problem.:)

I find 18/3 to be a bit thin for what i like. The sheath you have off me has the autoawl thread used on it.

thanks HB, is that stuff ok to use for standard needles etc, not the auto awl ?

Jomo

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2012
banbury
im using a big reel of 18/6 waxed linen thread that i was given by the cobbler working in timpsons, they had a few reels left because they don't use linen anymore but synthetic twine instead, which is apparently stronger but in my opinion infinitely inferior!! So you should go and ask your local cobbler and you might get lucky like me

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE