Best place for Paracord please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Hi all

I have a fair few air rifles and recently (Back end of last year) saw a fantastic paracord sling on one!!

I think they would have been a tad expensive to buy as I want around a dozen!! :eek: so I had the thought of 'having a bash' myself but have no idea where to buy paracord from :confused:

Oh, I'm going to have to learn how to do it too!! :D

Cheers, John :)

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
If you really want the best quality cord, you don't use paracord anyway. Paracord is great versatile stuff without a doubt but for the money, it's not great and I am never sure why people love it so much.

Flav

Tenderfoot
Dec 1, 2013
West sussex
Wildelk is the best paracord I have used, the bushcraft store stuff is inconsistent and I've had 2 different types from them, one is good stuff the other is a bugger to knot with

Essexman

Forager
Jul 26, 2010
Essex
Wildelk is the best paracord I have used, the bushcraft store stuff is inconsistent and I've had 2 different types from them, one is good stuff the other is a bugger to knot with

I wasn't going to mention other stores quality, but yes I have had the exact same issue over the last 5 years and have spoken to others who have gone down the same road.

The best quality cord it the type that knots well and keeps a nice round shape, so to look good. I have to say that all the cords sold will met the required standards etc, it's just how they look and knot that is not always the same.

As I said , cheapest isn't always best.

Later I'll dig up some photos so show what I mean.

Essexman

Forager
Jul 26, 2010
Essex
A quick example

DSCF3026.jpg

Monkey fist 1 and 3 are good round cord that holds it's shape. No 2 is not so good, pulled tight it has lost it's round shape and flattened.

Not so bad in a monkey fist. But when making other knots like the cobra weave or a lanyard knot the baggy/flat cord will bunch up and make it impossible to work with.

For many cheap paracord will serve it's purpose. But if you are getting into decorative knot work it's a good idea to use good quality materials to make a good quality product, for yourself or for others.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
A quick example

Monkey fist 1 and 3 are good round cord that holds it's shape. No 2 is not so good, pulled tight it has lost it's round shape and flattened.

Not so bad in a monkey fist. But when making other knots like the cobra weave or a lanyard knot the baggy/flat cord will bunch up and make it impossible to work with.

For many cheap paracord will serve it's purpose. But if you are getting into decorative knot work it's a good idea to use good quality materials to make a good quality product, for yourself or for others.

Thanks for posting this, very useful, are 1 & 3 made with Wildelk paracord?

Essexman

Forager
Jul 26, 2010
Essex
Thanks for posting this, very useful, are 1 & 3 made with Wildelk paracord?

No they were made a long time ago, cord was from supplycaptain.com who are based in the US. I used to get my cord from them all the time as I was fed up trying to find good quality cord in the UK

I have found the cord from wildelk to be the same as from supplycaptain. This saves me waiting weeks for an overseas shipment.

Also I should point out I have had cord from ebay sellers that has been terrible too.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
what is 'best'? something of equal versatility and price? just wondering what else is out there

Stronger, lighter, less stretchy, equally versatile, I use 2mm dyneema. There is a group buy for it going on in the group buy section if you're interested.

Hi Squidders

I've never used paracord (or whatever the alternative is!!) what's better for the rifle slings please??

Regards, John :)

For a rifle sling, I am guessing you want something that will spread the weight slightly over the shoulder. If you used something too thin (which the main alternative are), all you will do is hurt your shoulder. Paracord probably gives you a nice balance for the sling you want.

J

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
My question is, why do you want to make 12 of them? Even if you have 12 rifles, you're not going to carry them all on your shoulder at the same time. Why not just make one or two slings and use QD swivels?

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Para cord, the stuff taken from the cargo shutes is availiable at Endys at a good price mate.
I pick mine up from there.

da C.

Essexman

Forager
Jul 26, 2010
Essex
Para cord, the stuff taken from the cargo shutes is availiable at Endys at a good price mate.
I pick mine up from there.

da C.

Hiya Chris,

I've used some of the Endys green cord and it's great. The only problem is that it comes in short lengths. Some projects require longer!

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
My question is, why do you want to make 12 of them? Even if you have 12 rifles, you're not going to carry them all on your shoulder at the same time. Why not just make one or two slings and use QD swivels?

Hi SM

I have around 75 rifles and a fair few of them have leather slings but a friend nipped over the pennines to see me and showed me one that he'd made and it was fantastic!!

He said that he'd make me a couple but he's quite ill and i'd rather not put on him..

I just like my guns to be 'right' and the slings add to the 'rightness', I collect guns but don't shoot (Seems strange eh??!!) as there's nowhere to shoot since the council demolished the nearest range to me (Herringthorpe leisure centre)..

Cheers, John :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE