Best MVP [Goretex] Surplus Jacket for under £50?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

little_leaf177

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2011
Liverpeewwll
The two bet choices IMHO
dutch 4 layer jacket - fleece/mp/outer jacket
german police jacket - MVP & ffleece
both look like quality jackets, great or camping, not really a walkers jacket though...
if walking I like the look of he flektarn gorerex.

allfatherodin

Oct 24, 2011
hitchhiking europe
What jacket would be best for weight/bulk?

Right now I'm travelling europe with an Austrian goretex m65. It's bulky, fairly heavy, and the outer cotton layer just soaks up rain, Addington the weight when packed again (not to mention it takes forever to dry if camping.

I'm looking at the dutch goretex jacket, with the built in lining, I believe? (there seems to be two types, yes?)..what's the weight like?

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
I don't have one but I do like the look of the Dutch Goretex parkas- they have them for sale at military mart with a fleece pile liner and hood for a starting price of £27.50. Also there is the option for a goretex flecktarn parka?

screwdriver

Forager
Nov 28, 2010
calne
the trouble with all the surplus goretex is all the washing they have gone through with no renewing of the outer dwr.
i.e new dpm mvp slightly shiney due to dwr coating, heavilly boilwashed surplus has a matt brushed cotton looking finish.
if the outer dwr is stripped off it the outer will wet out and any advantage goretex /mvp has will rapidly dissapear.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I have the British MTP pattern gore tex one without pockets, think its called a pac lite?
I really like it, not bothered at all about the lack of pockets, there's not so many Walters walking about with that pattern yet and it its lightweight, waterproof and most importantly for me, unlined. I wear my layers for the warmth and the top layer is just for waterproofing. Can't be done with padded, lined and over hot waterproof jackets.
Oh, its not got a hood, but I generally wear a hat out when it's cold anyway and I don't have to fold a spazzy hood away with it.
Its like THIS one.

I bought one of these from the bay, in a large 180/104 but the sleeves are ridiculously short. What are your sleeves like?
Getting a bit pi553d off really, as this is the third surplus jacket ive bought which doesnt fit....:censored:

Last edited:

AndyD

Settler
Dec 20, 2011
North East England
British Army POL (petrol/oil/lubricant) protective Gore Tex jacket.
Triple layer with neoprene cuffs on the inside,bloody good jacket.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE